How much water changes should I do on a pond

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Benji k

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I just got a small pond set up outside I was just wondering how many water changes should I do on it.

Hi, I have four ponds and I don't water change at all. Only top up with tankwater when needed.
I have a heap of plants in each one, and each pond has made it's own ecosystem. I keep rainbowfish and blue eyes to keep the mosquito population under control, but really, I just leave them to their own devices. I get a bit of algae in one in the summer, but that's good for the tadpoles.

If I recall from the pictures, you have a tiny 20 gallon type pond, right? Size matters. It'll be unstable. But what plants, what fish what rates of evaporation...

Wo
Hi, I have four ponds and I don't water change at all. Only top up with tankwater when needed.
I have a heap of plants in each one, and each pond has made it's own ecosystem. I keep rainbowfish and blue eyes to keep the mosquito population under control, but really, I just leave them to their own devices. I get a bit of algae in one in the summer, but that's good for the tadpoles.
Wow thats amazing what plants do you use I’ve been using wisteria but that’s been dying I put some duckweed and this other floating plant in and they seem to be doing well but what plants do you use.

I
If I recall from the pictures, you have a tiny 20 gallon type pond, right? Size matters. It'll be unstable. But what plants, what fish what rates of evaporation...
only have 2 male guppy’s I’m using wisteria but that died but this other plants are going well like the duck weed and this other floating plant it dosent evaporate to fast.

I have ribbon grass, elephant ears ,papyrus (have to be careful it doesn't take over) and bacopa for the floating plant. And some water lilies in one pond. I also have one that is just a large pot, prob not over 20 litres ..5 gallons. That has one plant in it that likes shade as it is on my verandah. I've never fussed with any of them after set up.

I have ribbon grass, elephant ears ,papyrus (have to be careful it doesn't take over) and bacopa for the floating plant. And some water lilies in one pond. I also have one that is just a large pot, prob not over 20 litres ..5 gallons. That has one plant in it that likes shade as it is on my verandah. I've never fussed with any of them after set up.
Do you have any fish in the 20L pot? I have a larger pot with water lilies in it, perhaps 50L, but don't have fish in it as I'm concerned with temperature fluctuations.

Hi, yes I have a rainbow fish in that one, I'm on the mid north coast NSW so doesn't get too cold up here. You would get a lot colder??
I have a about 50l pot too, with papyrus and bacopa in it. Have a couple of rainbows in that one, plus about 100 tadpoles.
I've been looking into Medakas. Rice fish, lately. Apparently they can survive in temps 3 to about 40! And they prefer colder water rather than heated. And they are lovely....

And w
ith the elephant set plants do I just put the roots in I like the look of it and it will cover the pond and I have duckweed and this other floating plant in ther now

Hi, yes I have a rainbow fish in that one, I'm on the mid north coast NSW so doesn't get too cold up here. You would get a lot colder??
I have a about 50l pot too, with papyrus and bacopa in it. Have a couple of rainbows in that one, plus about 100 tadpoles.
I've been looking into Medakas. Rice fish, lately. Apparently they can survive in temps 3 to about 40! And they prefer colder water rather than heated. And they are lovely....
Yes, it’s a bit cooler here in West Gippsland, approx 100km east of Melb. A few nights each winter the temp drops to zero, even goldfish wouldn’t like it much. When the sun hits during the day it climbs to well over 20C very quickly – that couldn’t be healthy for the fish.

Water in your ponds must be very good for the tadpoles to make it their home.

Elephant
Yes, it’s a bit cooler here in West Gippsland, approx 100km east of Melb. A few nights each winter the temp drops to zero, even goldfish wouldn’t like it much. When the sun hits during the day it climbs to well over 20C very quickly – that couldn’t be healthy for the fish.

Water in your ponds must be very good for the tadpoles to make it their home.
I use tank water, put the plants in, and let them sort it out. If you use native fish they are quite happy with the conditions. I use rainbow and blue eyes as they pretty much leave the frog spawn alone, and they breed very easily. They are also light on bioload, unlike goldfish. Lots of plants around the pond to shade it in summer, and being natives they can handle the winter.
And yes. lots of tadpoles and frogs, can be very loud of a night! But worth it..

And w

ith the elephant set plants do I just put the roots in I like the look of it and it will cover the pond and I have duckweed and this other floating plant in ther now
Elephant ears are planted, I have sand and pebbles in the bottom of the pond. You don't have to fuss much, just pop them in, and let them get going. Most pond plants you can just weigh down their roots with a stone and they will root themselves. Elephant ears can grow big, but also will die down in winter, but leave them be and they will come back in spring. Bacopa is a really good floating plant, no trouble and will spread easily. And ribbon grass is a really easy pond plant, I get it easily here, so you shouldn't have a problem. Go to your local plant place and hopefully they'll have pond plants, I got a lot of mine from Bunnings

Elephant ears are planted, I have sand and pebbles in the bottom of the pond. You don't have to fuss much, just pop them in, and let them get going. Most pond plants you can just weigh down their roots with a stone and they will root themselves. Elephant ears can grow big, but also will die down in winter, but leave them be and they will come back in spring. Bacopa is a really good floating plant, no trouble and will spread easily. And ribbon grass is a really easy pond plant, I get it easily here, so you shouldn't have a problem. Go to your local plant place and hopefully they'll have pond plants, I got a lot of mine from Bunnings
yeah I’ll go have a look at Bunnings I have a really small layer of gravel I have lots left over do you think I should rinse it out again then just put Abit more in and for the elephant plant I’ll just pin it against the wall with a rock

I never do water changes in my ponds in the backyard and on my balcony. I only add water when some water has evaporated.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back