How much to feed fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I seriously love that plan. Surprisingly no one here likes the frozen brine except the goldfish & I thought they were vegans.
Oh what sort of fish do you have? I have danios and platys and a guppy. I was just going to get some frozen brine fromlfs or some algae wafers

Can fish see with the tank light off, enough to feed in the night? Is it also ok to feed at different times of the day or do fish like to be fed at the same time each day?

Can fish see with the tank light off, enough to feed in the night? Is it also ok to feed at different times of the day or do fish like to be fed at the same time each day?

Fish that are strictly diurnal will go into a rest or "sleep" mode in darkness. This is essential for their health as it affects their circadian rhythm. They will remain motionless, unless startled by something. Obviously they do not feed or eat during this phase.

Nocturnal fish however do search about for food and eat in darkness. Cories are nocturnal, as are many catfish. Years ago I had a trio of woodcats in one tank, and I never saw them during daylight, ever; but a couple hours after total darkness, if I went into the fish room with a flashlight, they would all three be out charging around, feeding. I always added some food after darkness for these fish.

Fish have good vision, but they also use barbels to find food, and it is no surprise that the barbels are most developed primarily on catfish, which live in very dark water and/or are nocturnal.

As for the time of day, if fed at the same general time each day fish will quickly come to anticipate this. Fish that "sleep" during darkness are best fed earlier in the "day" period so they have time to digest the food before inactivity sets in. Nocturnal fish obvious must be fed at night, but fish like cories are active day and night so they can be fed during the day too. Sometimes it is only at feeding that one sees all the fish, so this can be a good time to observe things.

Cories are nocturnal
Cories are NOT 'nocturnal'.
Nocturnal would mean that they are active at night and sleep during the day and we all know that they are active throughout the day and night. This makes them cathemeral. ;)

Diurnal, as mentioned, is the polar opposite of nocturnal.
Some fish may be crepuscular, meaning that they are mainly active at dawn and dusk.

Cories are NOT 'nocturnal'.
Nocturnal would mean that they are active at night and sleep during the day and we all know that they are active throughout the day and night. This makes them cathemeral. ;)

Diurnal, as mentioned, is the polar opposite of nocturnal.
Some fish may be crepuscular, meaning that they are mainly active at dawn and dusk.

Not a problem. I did not say they were exclusively nocturnal, just that they are active at night as well as day. Have a lovely day.

Well here’s my input

You need to feed small amounts 2-3 times a day enough to be consumed in less than 5 minutes

Also variety in there diet is important for good health and good colour

bug bites one feed and frozen brine another or bug bites 1 feed algae wafers on the 2nd feed
I just got some algae wafers 🙂

use these sparingly maybe one everyday as 1 whole meal

its possible to hold them onto the glass for a couple of seconds and make them stick on

some prefer this method but dropping them straight in works too

youll see the amazing effect they have on fish after a week or so

it really brings out the colour + helps keep energy levels up

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back