How much to add?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I finally got the python and I want to know:
How much dechlorinator do I add? Dose the whole tank volume or just the amount im adding.
I dose the amount of water added. I assume the tank is 100% water (don't adjust for substrate etc) which will dose on the safe side. I add dechlorinator just before moving the siphon line to the tap.

I always dose the whole tank
If I’m honest I don’t measure it out I just splash a bit in

Not everyone will agree, but I follow the majority here--only add the amount of dechlorinator needed for the fresh water. If you add 10 gallons, then use the amount of dechlorinator for 10 gallons.

It is in my view a gimmick by manufacturers to get you to use double what is needed--and thus buy more dechlorinator and pay them more money--when they advise to use sufficient for the whole tank. Why? The tank water has been dechlorinated, so there is no necessity to do it again. The only possible justification would be if you are not sure of the volume of fresh water; erring on the side of caution can at least be defended, though one would hope the aquarist knows what they are doing better than this. But having said that, in my 30+ years of aquaria I have never done this.

I dose the whole tank especially if they have been flushing fire hydrants, etc. Can't trust my water supply. my chlorine remover contains only sodium carbonate and sodium thiosulfate.

Last edited:
I just started using my first ever bottle of Prime. I've never had to deal with chloramines, just old school chlorine. With a hose, if you pour it in so it splashes, most of the chlorine vanishes as gas. In the new house though, while the water is chemically fantastic for the fish I keep, they seem to sometimes have a heavy hand with chlorine. I dose for the amount I add only.

For decades, with chlorine, I let it gas off and as long as I stayed below about 30%, it worked just fine. Delicate rainforest fish would breed the next day, unbothered. The dechlorinator doesn't cost too much, so I am trying it.

I sure won't use it as an after-shave though. Man, it smells bad. I wish I could get plain old Sodium thiosulfate, but no one around here carries it.

I just started using my first ever bottle of Prime. I've never had to deal with chloramines, just old school chlorine. With a hose, if you pour it in so it splashes, most of the chlorine vanishes as gas. In the new house though, while the water is chemically fantastic for the fish I keep, they seem to sometimes have a heavy hand with chlorine. I dose for the amount I add only.

For decades, with chlorine, I let it gas off and as long as I stayed below about 30%, it worked just fine. Delicate rainforest fish would breed the next day, unbothered. The dechlorinator doesn't cost too much, so I am trying it.

I sure won't use it as an after-shave though. Man, it smells bad. I wish I could get plain old Sodium thiosulfate, but no one around here carries it.

Agree here. And I would strongly recommend API's Tap Water Conditioner. It detoxifies chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals, nothing else. Prime messes about with the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and Seachem stated to me directly that they do not understand the nitrate side of this, and for whatever reason (trade secret, I don't care) they will not tell you the chemical(s) in this product (Prime). The API is adding what is needed (given your circumstances) and nothing more.

The other thing is how these work. Seachem say Prime will work 24-36 hours, and the plants (because of those chemicals) cannot use the heavy metals so they just stay there. API does not have this problem. You can add plant fertilizers at the W/C because the plants are able to take up the heavy metal nutrients immediately.

I dose the tank for one reason . It’s a 125 gallon tank my water changes range from 40%_75% weekly , it’s faster and easier to dose the tank for me personally , I understand if your changing 10gallon per week on a tank but when a water change takes 30mins anyway my main concern is keeping water temperature similar because I know it’s impossible to know exactly how much water has been changed I can have a really close guess but it’s impossible to know exactly

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back