How much stratum?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

wtusa17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I am thinking of using fluval stratum for my 29 gallon. I know stratum is light so how many pounds would be good for a 29 gallon? Thanks

Thatā€™s Depending on what you want to do with it.
In my 5 gallon I used 1 1/2 4.4 pound bags.

Thatā€™s Depending on what you want to do with it.
In my 5 gallon I used 1 1/2 4.4 pound bags.
Do you think one of the 17.6 pound bags would be good for a 29 gallon? I plant on using lava rocks in a bag to get height without wasting substrate.

Do you think one of the 17.6 pound bags would be good for a 29 gallon? I plant on using lava rocks in a bag to get height without wasting substrate.
You could always try it and buy another bag if you need more, or just buy 2 you will eventually use it.

You could always try it and buy another bag if you need more, or just buy 2 you will eventually use it.
Yea I suppose I could. The only problem is itā€™s better to buy in bulk but it would be very expensive and if I just needed a little bit it would still be an extra 15 to 20 dollars. Iā€™ll try one bag and make sure I donā€™t use it to create height and I use bags of lava rock to make sure I donā€™t use it all up.

Yea I suppose I could. The only problem is itā€™s better to buy in bulk but it would be very expensive and if I just needed a little bit it would still be an extra 15 to 20 dollars. Iā€™ll try one bag and make sure I donā€™t use it to create height and I use bags of lava rock to make sure I donā€™t use it all up.
Have you checked on amazon? I think one bag will work

Yea. At first I was going to get 2 bags of eco complete and stratum was a dream but I couldnā€™t afford it because I didnā€™t realize it was so light. I then looked it up and figured out that I wouldnā€™t need 2 bags of stratum and one 17.6 bag would be enough and even cheaper than 2 bags of eco complete

What type of plants are you planning on having in your tank? There are many plants you can grow in gravel or sand and just use plant tabs. There are plants that absorb what they need from the water too. It would be cheaper and in a year or two you will not have to replace your soil because it is worn out.

What type of plants are you planning on having in your tank? There are many plants you can grow in gravel or sand and just use plant tabs. There are plants that absorb what they need from the water too. It would be cheaper and in a year or two you will not have to replace your soil because it is worn out.
Stratum grows plants so well though.

Yea. At first I was
The reason I want to use a planted substrate is because I have gravel with root tabs and the plants are thriving but not growing so I want to do a nice planted tank

Best plant growth i ever had was in a dirted tank capped with gravel. It was great for about two years when the soil all went to crap as it does and needed to be changed out.
Since then i only use inert sand with root tabs and dry ferts so i dont have to ever change it over

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back