How much Protozin?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

AllieBear89

Reaction score
Hi there

Iā€™m new to this site so Iā€™m not sure if this is the correct place for this question.

i have a case of fungus (not me, my fish!) and Iā€™ve dosed the main tank with Protozin but because I have fry I had to half dose it. Iā€™ve also noticed Iā€™ve got myself a ā€˜alphaā€™ of the tank who tends to chase a few of the others, so Iā€™ve decided to take the fungus related fish out in a smaller tank in order to give full dosage safety without harming my fry and to give him some peace to recover from the bully, but Iā€™m a little stuck on dosing for a much smaller tank.
Previously I dosed a 105ltr tank with 5ml due to the fry as it said to half the dose, but now I need to dose a 1.120 ltr tank which apparently is 0.296 gallons, how much Protozin is safe for a tank that small? Iā€™ve looked online but find other products other than the one I need. The product Iā€™m using is Waterlife Protozin.

Thank you in advance.

(Give or take the Width)

Attachments

• 9E74C16B-9396-454A-99A0-AEA9FC7A546E.jpeg
    9E74C16B-9396-454A-99A0-AEA9FC7A546E.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 117
What fish are you keeping?
A 1.1liter tank is too small for any fish to survive.

Can you get a bigger container or bucket to treat the fish, at least a 10(2.6 gallons) liter bucket?
If you can get a 20 liter(about 5 gallons) bucket or container will be better.

Anyway, what is Protozin dosage?
Is it 1ml for 10 liter(10ml for 100liter)?

So, for a 1 liter tank, you need to use 0.1ml Protozin but this will be hard to measure.
One way to do this is to dilute the 1ml by 10 (ten times).

Get a 100ml bottle, and fill it with water to the full.
Pour 1ml of Protozin into the 100ml bottle.
Shake it well to ensure that the 1ml Protozin mix well with the 100ml water.

Take out 10ml of water from this 100ml water bottle to treat the 1 liter tank.
10ml of 100ml is 0.1 (10/100).
This will give you 0.1ml of Protozin.
Keep the remaining 90ml for later use.

You can use other sizes bottle but you have to calculate carefully.
For a 1000ml bottle, you need to draw 100ml water to get 0.1ml of Protozin.
For a 500ml bottle, you need to draw 50ml water to get 0.1ml of Protozin.

Get some plastic measuring jug/cup that are used for cooking to measure the volume.
If you don't have any water bottle, just use this plastic cup/jug to mix and dilute the Protozin.

Caution : Take note that Protozin contains Malachite green, formaldehyde, copper sulphate which are toxic.
Wear glove and don't breathe in the fume when you use it.

Attachments

• 1 liter cup.PNG
    1 liter cup.PNG
    36.7 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Are you sure they have fungus?
You can treat fungus with salt. If you want to try salt, see directions below.

Waterlife Protozin treats external protozoan infections and is a bit harsh for fungus. The formaldehyde is the only thing that will affect fungus, the copper and Malachite Green won't do anything to fungus.

Normally you would use Myxazin for fungus, if you wanted to use chemicals.

---------------------
SALT
For some fish diseases you can use salt (sodium chloride) to treat the ailment rather than using a chemical based medication. Salt is relatively safe and is regularly used in the aquaculture industry to treat food fish for diseases. Salt has been successfully used to treat minor fungal and bacterial infections, as well as a number of external protozoan infections. Salt alone will not treat whitespot (Ichthyophthirius) or Velvet (Oodinium) but will treat most other types of protozoan infections in freshwater fishes.

You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt) or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will affect some plants and some snails. The lower dose rate (1-2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will not affect fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

What fish are you keeping?
A 1.1liter tank is too small for any fish to survive.

Can you get a bigger container or bucket to treat the fish, at least a 10(2.6 gallons) liter bucket?
If you can get a 20 liter(about 5 gallons) bucket or container will be better.

Anyway, what is Protozin dosage?
Is it 1ml for 10 liter(10ml for 100liter)?

So, for a 1 liter tank, you need to use 0.1ml Protozin but this will be hard to measure.
One way to do this is to dilute the 1ml by 10 (ten times).

Get a 100ml bottle, and fill it with water to the full.
Pour 1ml of Protozin into the 100ml bottle.
Shake it well to ensure that the 1ml Protozin mix well with the 100ml water.

Take out 10ml of water from this 100ml water bottle to treat the 1 liter tank.
10ml of 100ml is 0.1 (10/100).
This will give you 0.1ml of Protozin.
Keep the remaining 90ml for later use.

You can use other sizes bottle but you have to calculate carefully.
For a 1000ml bottle, you need to draw 100ml water to get 0.1ml of Protozin.
For a 500ml bottle, you need to draw 50ml water to get 0.1ml of Protozin.

Get some plastic measuring jug/cup that are used for cooking to measure the volume.
If you don't have any water bottle, just use this plastic cup/jug to mix and dilute the Protozin.

Caution : Take note that Protozin contains Malachite green, formaldehyde, copper sulphate which are toxic.
Wear glove and don't breathe in the fume when you use it.
Itā€™s a Platy. I managed to find the name of the tank.

Attachments

• 97D19404-BE69-434F-88D7-2BB3ED412EA0.jpeg
    97D19404-BE69-434F-88D7-2BB3ED412EA0.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 112
  • E14F1098-8BAA-460F-995C-3DBB6D30D30F.jpeg
    E14F1098-8BAA-460F-995C-3DBB6D30D30F.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 121
Are you sure they have fungus?
You can treat fungus with salt. If you want to try salt, see directions below.

Waterlife Protozin treats external protozoan infections and is a bit harsh for fungus. The formaldehyde is the only thing that will affect fungus, the copper and Malachite Green won't do anything to fungus.

Normally you would use Myxazin for fungus, if you wanted to use chemicals.

---------------------
SALT
For some fish diseases you can use salt (sodium chloride) to treat the ailment rather than using a chemical based medication. Salt is relatively safe and is regularly used in the aquaculture industry to treat food fish for diseases. Salt has been successfully used to treat minor fungal and bacterial infections, as well as a number of external protozoan infections. Salt alone will not treat whitespot (Ichthyophthirius) or Velvet (Oodinium) but will treat most other types of protozoan infections in freshwater fishes.

You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt) or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will affect some plants and some snails. The lower dose rate (1-2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will not affect fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.
I did try the salt option but it wasnā€™t making much difference. This is the stuff on the little guy

Attachments

• 41C2F80F-8FEF-4A8C-B655-76A9D9C7D5E9.jpeg
    41C2F80F-8FEF-4A8C-B655-76A9D9C7D5E9.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 0924604E-0D00-45C2-9518-1B34F3D0DC5D.jpeg
    0924604E-0D00-45C2-9518-1B34F3D0DC5D.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 121
Itā€™s a Platy. I managed to find the name of the tank.

Aqua 20 is a 20 liter tank (if you fill the water to 25cm height). It's good enough for a single fish.
For a 20 liter tank, you need to dose 2ml Protozin.

I guess you used the wrong unit.
1 inch = 2.5cm(about)

According to the website below, the dimensions are: 40 cm (L) x 20cm(W) x 26 cm(H).

By the way, as Colin mentioned, Protozin is quite harsh.

Aqua 20 is a 20 liter tank (if you fill the water to 25cm height). It's good enough for a single fish.
For a 20 liter tank, you need to dose 2ml Protozin.

I guess you used the wrong unit.
1 inch = 2.5cm(about)

According to the website below, the dimensions are: 40 cm (L) x 20cm(W) x 26 cm(H).

By the way, as Colin mentioned, Protozin is quite harsh.
Do you think I should salt then? If so how much is safe?

I always have them on standby, Ive used them both at full dosing with Corydoras & Corydora fry, Also Guppy fry & none of them have been affected by medication.
I spoke to Waterlife years ago about the dosing of both products for tanks with fry but the reply was if your unsure dont use it.
It will kill snails & makes plants fragile but does not kill them as far as i know

Do you think I should salt then? If so how much is safe?
If you follow Colin's instruction, you can dose 2 tablespoon for 20 liters of water since your fish is Platy (livebearer) which can take higher level of salt.
Refer to Colin's post for more details.

Or you can consider Myxazin as suggested by Colin and Jonny.

Last edited:
Just a point - the tank is the Aquadistri Superfish Aqua 20 not the Ciano tank. It's 18 litress. Not that it makes much difference for the dose rate.

From the manual, found on-line
superfish aqua 20.jpg

It's a bacterial infection, not fungal.

You can try isolating the fish in a separate tank and using salt (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of water), or Myxazin, or both Myxazin and salt.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back