How much media to put in a canister filter

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

DGJ

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I wanted to get thoughts on how much media to put in a SunSun 304b Filter?

It is 525GPH.

I have 2 coming on Monday, 1 for my 190L Trigon and 1 for the Ciano 120 (250l).

I also have 1lb of Premium Filter Carbon, 1lb of Ceramic Rings and 1 Set of Bio Balls and wanted to know if I can split these across the 2 filters or whether they all go into the trays for one and so I buy another lot for the second filter?

Thanks

Fair warning: I haven't used the type of filter you're using, but I've seen others use similar varieties.

In my opinion, you probably want as much media as you can fit without going over budget/wasting/etc. It will hold more beneficial bacteria to keep your tank healthy, which is always a good thing!

Each of the trays in both filters need media of some sort. Google says that the filter doesn't come with media so you have to buy them separately. If the media you already have fills one filter, you need to buy more for the second filter.

Don't bother with carbon, keep it in the cupboard (you can use it to remove the medication from the tank you are currently treating when that's finished). It would be better to get some filter sponge and cut that down to fit one of the trays exactly leaving no gaps.

Most reactions

Back