How much light ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Brendanpat

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all .just recently planted cryptocoryne x willisii and bacopa caroliniana in my new tank . Putting the light on for about 10 hours a day . And now getting a lot of algae growth on ornaments and 2 remaining fake plants . What is the least amount I could have the light on to keep them healthy and to limit algae bloom. Just set my timer for 9 hours per day . Is that enough ? Should i remove fake plants ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200827-150918_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200827-150918_Gallery.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 111
You can remove the fake plants and rinse them off, then add them back in.

Algae forms when there is to much nutrients in the water. Do you dose any fertilizers?

Algae also form when the lights are on for too long and I think, also when they are not on long enough. I have only low light plants but I think 10 hours might be too much.

If you get a plant that takes up a lot of nutrients (Aka Anacharis) you can keep your light on for much longer.

I keep my lights on for 14 hours a day, no algae problems.

Thanks for reply .. I'm using this once a week .I think these plants are medium to low light plants ? So I should cut the light down to maybe 8 hours ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200827-154144_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200827-154144_Samsung Internet.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 93
Yes, I would start by reducing lighting. I would also dose half of what you are doing now, in fertilizers. Once you get this algae problem under control, and get your light time figured out, you can go back to full fertilizers. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back