How Much Is Too Much?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Who you talkin about truck? me? if so then yeah I know :) gunna look into one of those arcadia luminaires or something, only problem is my tank has a bloody surround made outa plastic all round the top that the ligh bar and condensation flaps sit on too and I think those luminair things attach to the glass when I cant get to :(

Hmm I'll have to take a better look at it!
i was just adding to what ben said.

For SPS, on a note of lighting, you will find it easier with Halides. Arcadias Halide units have nice high failure rates, so I'd look at other brands for lights. Arcadia are the dogs nuts for T8 and T5 units though :good:

Very nearly bought the old version that they just discontinued 36" t5 marine lumi today but realised it was too big :( they didnt have any of the size down so im a bit stumped as the my lighting upgrade, may just see if my MA has anything I guess, any suggestions rabbut?

Id rather not spend over 200 btw lol

For SPS, on a note of lighting, you will find it easier with Halides. Arcadias Halide units have nice high failure rates, so I'd look at other brands for lights. Arcadia are the dogs nuts for T8 and T5 units though :good:

Hi rabbut :)

I live in the UK also and i just wondered what brand of name you recommend in halides? I'd be looking for a unit that has a 150w MH with 2X T5 blue acinics. I have to agree with you about Arcadia being the bees knees in T5 units, i had the 4 x 24W T5 overtank luminaire and i was really impressed with it!

Thanks in advance
Dan

Very nearly bought the old version that they just discontinued 36" t5 marine lumi today but realised it was too big :( they didnt have any of the size down so im a bit stumped as the my lighting upgrade, may just see if my MA has anything I guess, any suggestions rabbut?

Id rather not spend over 200 btw lol
hagen glo T5 balasts.

you can buy the ballast from MA for £40 or the luminaire for £80 and the 24" luminaire is extendable.

Silversun do OK units IMO, but they are hard to get hold of without going via EQJ-Trading, a firm renound for dodgy after-sales support...

AquaOne and D&D are both good brands, but would have to be picked up second hand to stay within JoshH's budget :good:

All the best
Rabbut

Silversun do OK units IMO, but they are hard to get hold of without going via EQJ-Trading, a firm renound for dodgy after-sales support...

AquaOne and D&D are both good brands, but would have to be picked up second hand to stay within JoshH's budget :good:

All the best
Rabbut

Thanks for the recomendations, I've had a look into the AquaOne MC600 which looks perfect for what i'm after. A 10,000K 150w MH with 2 X 24W T5 Blue Acinics for £218....Delivered! Bargain if i ever did see one compared to the £300+ prices Arcadia are quoting!

Thanks again
Dan

Heads off to sweet talk GF into parting with £218... :p

Little tip, look on Ebay for second hand, you can get them still cheaper an in good working order on there.

As a new Halide user, remember never to touch the lamps themselves directly. Doing so can lead to, erm, exposive results when the finger grease on the lamp makes the lamp go pop half way through warming up... :shifty: Always handle Halide lamps through a tissue or soft cloth. When buying second hand, ask the seller how long the lamps have been in service. If it's more than 6 months it would be best to get some replacements at the same time. T5 Actinics will last about 6 months, the Halide life-span varies by as much as 18 months from manufacturer to manufacturer...

All the best
Rabbut

Little tip, look on Ebay for second hand, you can get them still cheaper an in good working order on there.

As a new Halide user, remember never to touch the lamps themselves directly. Doing so can lead to, erm, exposive results when the finger grease on the lamp makes the lamp go pop half way through warming up... :shifty: Always handle Halide lamps through a tissue or soft cloth. When buying second hand, ask the seller how long the lamps have been in service. If it's more than 6 months it would be best to get some replacements at the same time. T5 Actinics will last about 6 months, the Halide life-span varies by as much as 18 months from manufacturer to manufacturer...

All the best
Rabbut

Heh, and never touch them when they're running either... I have a couple battle scars on my forearms from making that mistake ;)

As you would expect when they are running at 13,500c for a 14K lamp... You should never run a Double Ended lamp without UV guards on it also, the varnish in my cabinet is browning nicely where the light escapes without passing any filters due to the high levels of UV emitted...

As you would expect when they are running at 13,500c for a 14K lamp... You should never run a Double Ended lamp without UV guards on it also, the varnish in my cabinet is browning nicely where the light escapes without passing any filters due to the high levels of UV emitted...
13500C as in celcius!!! :crazy: i dont think i want one now...

That's the temp inside the tiny nipple that fires the bulb yes. The heat is necessary to turn the metals inside the lamp into plasma so they glow the appropriate color. And plasma is ummm, hot ;)

The glass shield probably gets to somewhere between 600-1000C. Singes your hand on contact ;) Luckily there's little thermal mass in glass, so it doesn't really burn too thoroughly and won't leave a scar. Does hurt for a couple days though :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back