How much is enough

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

seangee

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
I have decided to continue not trimming the roots for at least a few weeks. Is there a point at which I should be concerned about fish getting trapped or tangled in the roots? Everyone goes up there except for the Britlenose. The cardinals seen to prefer hanging around the edges, but the pencilfish, glowlights and cories do go in deep, and all the way up to the surface.

20191102_155907.jpg

Just in case you're wondering how I keep it to 50% coverage ...

Attachments

• 20191102_155907.jpg
    20191102_155907.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 195
  • 20191102_160020.jpg
    20191102_160020.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 174
  • 20191102_160027.jpg
    20191102_160027.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 165
I never trim the roots of floating plants, or any other aquarium plants for that matter. Not only are the roots there because the plant needs them (all of them) to assimilate nutrients, but the roots are the primary source of the by-product oxygen that is released by the plant during photosynthesis. The roots also harbor microscopic critters that the fish eat, which is why they spend time up there.

That's good to know. I have been pruning mine vigorously every 1 or 2 weeks (pic is after 2 weeks). The growth in the first week after being trimmed is prolific so I had assumed this was a good approach.

Either way its a great ammonia sink. Its some time since I have detected any measurable nitrate in the tank. Also does a great job of keeping algae manageable. There is some visible in the pic but the only maintenance since 29 Sept (when I changed the substrate) is the weekly 75% water change, rinsing sponges and pruning. Oh and splitting anubias :)

I never trim! Nobody is there to trim in real natural habitat hahahah

I read somewhere that pruning acts as a growth stimulante. This could be true

I read somewhere that pruning acts as a growth stimulante. This could be true

This is true for plants, because the plant sees the trimming as an attack, so it spends more energy trying to combat it. However, the initial issue from the OP concerned fish up in the root masses, and there is no reason to be pruning the roots for this.

This is true for plants, because the plant sees the trimming as an attack, so it spends more energy trying to combat it. However, the initial issue from the OP concerned fish up in the root masses, and there is no reason to be pruning the roots for this.
Yes that was exactly why I asked. I want to let them grow. Naturally I will prune for asthetic reasons (and so I can see my fish). I also know what happens when the plants growing downwards meet the plants growing upwards and engage in a struggle for domination :rolleyes:

This tank intentionally has a light side and a dark side. Entanglement should be reduced because the roots have now started heading for the light. The flow is negligible and the roots are actually heading against the flow to get to the light.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back