How Much Do You Feed?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Freedom

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Yesterday, I did a little experiment.  My 50 gallon tank has 4 bronze and 6 gold corys (aeneus).

I put in 10 Ken's Catfish pellets.  WOW those were GONE in less than one minute!

So I put in another 7.  Again, GONE in less than one minute!

I stopped there.  Are my fish starving when I only feed 1 pellet per cory per day?  I thought the rule was, feed all they can eat in 3 minutes, but I don't know where I got that from.  Based on that, I should have added more food again. 

I recently hit water parameter issues due to overfeeding, so I don't want to do THAT again, either.

How much do you feed?

they will feed and feed as they are built to garb as much as they can when its available.
it's up to you and i to regulate feeding because of things like water issues when fish are in a confined space.
they often put that feeding rule on the packets of food.
when feeding people say that you should treat the fishes eye as the size of their stomach.

when it comes to me feeding my fish i will feed once a day , with one , maybe two starve days per week.

With 8 Bronze, 5 Peppered Corys, 2 Bolivians, and 4 Angels, in a 55 gallon, I do 6 or 7 Wardley shrimp pellets. Along with a little flake or Cichlid pellets. Nobody starves.
In my other tank 9 Neons, 5 Black Neons, 1 Ghost Shrimp and 4 Albino Cory, a little flake and a couple of Shrimp pellets.

I put in a couple for my six cories to share. They're in a community tank, so they get some food from the other fish as well. As Stimo said, a fish's eye is approximately the size of its stomach.

Corys are a bit different from some other fish in that they don't tend to overeat & will leave food if they aren't hungry.
I feed mine twice a day they get bloodworm or other live food in the morning & new era catfish pellets in the evening.
Just looked at those catfish pellets you use, they look ok but corys need a higher percentage of protein in their diet maybe get some frozen bloodworm, daphnia, brine shrimp etc for them as well

Lillefishy said:
Corys are a bit different from some other fish in that they don't tend to overeat & will leave food if they aren't hungry.
I feed mine twice a day they get bloodworm or other live food in the morning & new era catfish pellets in the evening.
Just looked at those catfish pellets you use, they look ok but corys need a higher percentage of protein in their diet maybe get some frozen bloodworm, daphnia, brine shrimp etc for them as well
Thanks! I also have Ken's Pellets with Brine Shrimp, been using them 3 times a week.  My dog Willy got in to the catfish pellets, ate more than half the bag, so they won't around as long as I thought anyway, lol. I add bloodworm once a week.  So, I guess I just won't replace the catfish pellets but will move to others.

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/fish-food-feeders/kens-premium-sinking-pellets-brine-shrimp.html

I read somewhere that the fishes eye as the size of their stomach is an unsubstantiated myth.  I never did like the line "feed as much as they will eat in 3 mins, that doesn't really say anything.   Every fish and tank setup is unique.  Fish will eat 24 hours a day if you let them.  My fish are very competitive with food, they will take it from the mouth of another fish while they still have some in their own mouth.  I have a rule of thumb, not sure if it's correct or not.  I observe how much I'm adding to the tank, not how much fish are eating.  Fish aren't dumb, though they often seem to pretend to be.  We tend to worry more about fish eating rather than how much food we are tossing in the tank.  I use small pinches of various types of food, portion control.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back