How much co2 to put

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

MrMarine222

Reaction score
I have a standard tank 150 litres I think how much co2 to put I have like 20 plants and some carpeting plants

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I expect one of our high-tech planted tank members will be able to better answer your question (I have planted tanks but never messed with CO2 as they are natural or low-tech systems), but in the interim I might suggest you give us the light data. Adding CO2 will not benefit (but quite the opposite) if the light is not sufficient intensity to drive photosynthesis for the plant species, and of course other nutrients will likely need to be supplemented too.

And, welcome to TFF.

Byron.

I don't have a CO2 system but have looked into it. typically a device called a drop checker is used to measure the amount of CO2 in the water. You then adjust the flow of CO2 until you get the correct color in the drop checker. This article explains how to set one up:

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/articles/co2-striking-the-balance

As to how much CO2 you need to buy, I would have no idea since I don't have a CO2 system. Someone else with CO2 experience would have to answer that.

[QUOTEAdding CO2 will not benefit (but quite the opposite) if the light is not sufficient intensity to drive photosynthesis for the plant species, and of course other nutrients will likely need to be supplemented too.][/QUOTE]

I think this point needs to be made for planted tanks. If your tank is short on nutrients your plants will not grow. In my tank I had a lot of plant algae issues. I found my fertilizer didn't have copper which plants need. I change to a fertilizer which had the same ingredients plus copper. My plants for the first time in months stated to grow rapidly. just changing one ingredient made a big change in my plants growth rate.

No amount of light or CO2 will cause plants to grow if you don't have enough nutrients available in the tank. Many people using CO2 also fertilize using a method known as the estimative index. You can set up a drop checker and buy the fertilizers needed or you can try a low tech method. Some people simply use a good light and have great plant growth. others just use light and fertilizer and get good results. Whether or not your need fertilizer depends on the nutrient content of your water which in most cases is note know precisely. Seachem Flourish Comprehensive is a good fertilizer to start with if decide to try it.

Most reactions

trending

Back