How much apistos or rams can i keep in a 5.5 gallon tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

maxikfr

Reaction score
I was wondering if how many of these fish could i keep in a 5.5 gallon tank 1 or the other

There are fish for a 5 gallon but not cichlids like Rams or Apistos. You need to be thinking of nano fish like Chilli Rasboras or possibly very small Badis species like Black Tiger Badis - both assuming you have soft water.

Wills

Yeah, that's to small for many things. Definititely not them. They need around a 80l tank I think. As Wills said you could also keep some small fish in there, or also some shrimp.

A single pair of Apistogramma need a 24 inch tank minimum, though I did better with 30 inch front glass tanks. A small adult male can reach 4 inches in many species, and a 5.5 is 16 inches across, and 8 front to back. It can't move - like being a human in a 6x3 room. Rams are smaller, but much more sensitive to water conditions than moist available Apistos.

If you haven't bought the tank yet, perhaps look at a bigger tank so you have more options for what can go in it.

If you have bought the tank but haven't set it up, see if you can return it and swap it for a bigger tank. A 20 gallon long is a good size. :)

Not only does a bigger tank give you more options for fish, it's easier to maintain. Small tanks are very unforgiving. The bigger a tank is, the more stable it is.

Personally, I wouldn't keep any fish in anything less than a 10 gallon. IMO it just isn't humane, even for nano fish or a single betta.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back