How Many Tanks Is Sensible To Have?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mp0033price

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'd like to know how many tanks is normal to accumulate. How many do you all have up and running that are simply for enjoyment? And how long did it take to acquire them? Like, "I had 3 tanks within a year of my first tank...", etc. etc. Don't count breeding tanks that are all for financial profit please. I've not been in this hobby very long and I keep wanting more!!! My hubby thinks I've gone mad or something. :fun:

I have 5 after 1 and a half years. I have 30,21,15,10 and 6G tanks. Someone like Ludwig Venter Will be here soon who has hundreds of tanks and a few tropical ponds.

I have one 55 gal. community tank and 1 10 gal. QT/fry tank--depending on what I'm using it for at the moment and if I'm adding fish or not. Any more and I think it becomes a chore with upkeep and to me, it's not relaxing if I have to spend too much time on them after working a full week. My fish are not my social life but instead are there as a source of relaxation when I'm home. :lol:

i got my community tank (like 190 liter ish) and a guppy breeding tank BUT i have just started it and im not breeding them for financial gain anyway :)

got my community about 4 months ago maybe and the breeding tank about 1 month 1 1/2 month

ash

:blink: i have 15 tanks the only one for breeding is a 1 foot tank for apple snails the rest are simply to fill and enjoy, it is as stated above quite a chore but i wanted so many different fish that didn't mix well i bought/aquired 10 in a month and 12 haven't come to more than £100, one was bought from a fish store at £150 and 2 were given to me. i've had them for 3 months and plan on having more for breeding (for myself not for sales)

i have six and counting since i started on halloween of last year. a 2g,5g,10g,20g,55g,and a 70g. still want more! i do breed snails in some of them for financial reasons but more for enjoyment TBH and they have fish pets in them too :fun:

For us, it all started with a 5-gallon tank we bought for a couple of carnival fish. The fish didn't make it, but the hobby survived, and after about a year and a half we've grown to five tanks: two 5-gallon (mostly for babies), and a 14-gallon, 34-gallon, and 1 gallon hospital tank for very sick fish.

I have to talk myself out of getting more because, as others have said, the maintenance gets to be too much. I think eventually we may replace the 34G and 14G with one larger tank, perhaps a 60G. But the maintenance pain is still counterbalanced by the thrill of going to the store for new fish.

luckyd, You just summed my MTS up with your comment about "new fish counterbalance the maintenance pain"... :D

I now have a 60 gallon African tank, a 10 gallon quar./hosp. tank, and a 29 gallon (kids's community) tank.. So I NEED more!!! LOL I want a tank to breed small fish for fun.. What's the easiest? Guppy?

kizno1~ you lost me at Ludwig Venter Will.. ??? Never heard of that, but sounds like he makes my MTS look not so bad afterall... :lol:

TiffanyJayne~ FIFTEEN? That's about how many I want right now.. Seriously! I want a few big tanks and then a WALL of smaller tanks.... :look:

Haha i was lucky enough to pick up a 1 foot for my convicts and a 1 foot for my puffers and the frame for £20 which now holds 1 foot on top, 2 foot and 1 foot on first rail, 2x1 foots on second rail and 2 foot + 2 foot turned sideways on bottom rail then i have 2 on stands and 2 on tables all but 2 tanks in my extention and 2x 4 foots outside with stands ready for painting up and cycling. I'm an addict...i'll be sure to drop you a line if i need to get rid of any...use me as an excuse for having to have more!!! the 'she has no where else to put them and the fish will die' normally works well =D

I'd like to know how many tanks is normal to accumulate. How many do you all have up and running that are simply for enjoyment? And how long did it take to acquire them? Like, "I had 3 tanks within a year of my first tank...", etc. etc. Don't count breeding tanks that are all for financial profit please. I've not been in this hobby very long and I keep wanting more!!! My hubby thinks I've gone mad or something. :fun:

i suggest thinking long and hard before starting up tanks. I got into fish about 2 years ago and since then i've set up 4 tanks and a pond in my backyard. I was so excited with my first tank at first but when the initial excitement wore off i started adding more and more to the house and I'm at the point where i truly regret it.

appreciate what you have, more is not always better. it becomes a real pain to maintain a lot of tanks and it also can add a lot to your electric bill.

However many it takes to keep you sane or satisfy your MTS.

i choose this one :lol:

ive got my personal 55 gallon fresh, maybe get a 20 gallon to move my praecox into, then we might keep the 20 gal marine and add another 65-125 gallon marine tank

right now i have two

highest possiblity right now is 4

number of tanks ive got already planned out for the future: over 9000 :lol: *cough* *cough* errr 5-6 normal sized tanks (not exceeding 500 gallons) and 2 HUGE (1000+) tanks, among other things :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back