How Many Red Belly Piranha In A 150G

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Yup it was that one , they look a bit better than red bellies i thought :good:

The Rhom has to be the most scary looking one i've seen so far !

Yup it was that one , they look a bit better than red bellies i thought :good:

The Rhom has to be the most scary looking one i've seen so far !

Wild reds do look much better than tank bred, grow bigger and arent half as shy.I think a shoal of piraya might be abit of a handful for a new keeper imo but its up to you and you need any advice fire away :)

well got my ten red bellies today

due to funds I got captive bred

They are tiny only an inch or so long and very plain looking for now although I;m impressed with their behaviour, I put some prawn in before and they darted round and ripped it to bits and you could see the juvenile colouring coming out with the spots etc
Funny to watch them chase after the fish with prawn in its mouth. I think I;m going to enjoy these fish!!!

I shall keep you posted how my 10 get on and whether the stay as a ten!!

bit hard for now Ben as the feckers hide unless food in and they are a bit small, hopefully in a couple of weeks eventhere will be a slight change for the better with their size etc

If these are your first piranha's then I would recommend red bellies first but go for wild caught ones, they are much less skittish and more colourful.

PM me and I will direct you folk to the best piranha forum,

If these are your first piranha's then I would recommend red bellies first but go for wild caught ones if you can find them (if your in the UK I know sellers), they are much less skittish and more colourful.

sorry to rip up such and old thread, but cant see a pm button any were! any how im from the uk and looking for red bellies. what you said ages and ages ago.is that something you can still get?

I am just wondering where people and supposed experts get their tank requirements from. I have 4 red bellies in a 60gal. They are happy, don't nip each other and aren't shy. They are at about the size threshold for their species about 10" a piece in captivity, you're really not gonna get them too much bigger in an aquarium regardless of it's size. I have seen as many as 7 in the same size tank just as big ,but, that was at a pet store, wouldn't recommend crowding like that though. I love my piranhas there social and have lots of personality,however they do scare easily with fast movements, and for some reason every piranha I've ever owned has been terrified of a tape measure, can't figure out why.

I am just wondering where people and supposed experts get their tank requirements from. I have 4 red bellies in a 60gal.

I get mine from my experience with the fish. I couldn;t believe from testing the water how much maintenance was required for these fish due to the diet and waste they expel

Most reactions

Back