How Many Red Belly Piranha In A 150G

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

simonas

stuck between a rock and a fish tank
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I;ve been reading up on the red bellies as much as I can

On another forum there are loads of pics who keep shoals of baby red bellies but no evidence of an adult shoal

can this be done in a tank as small as mine 60x30x24? how many could I reasonably expect to keep and do they end up as a single fish or can they easily stay as a small shoal for the rest of their days bearing in mind they would be well fed?

at a mature size, i would go by that you need to have 75 gallons for the first 3 and 20 gallons each for the rest. Which would work out to 6-7. They are a LOT happier with space to move around and to have a lot of space for wood and plants for hiding throughout. they can happily stay as a small shoal without casualties, feed often and pay attention to their actions. they do things in a very obvious manor. i find it easy to see their mood/hunger.

PS whats the other forum you speak of? i always need more info on RBPs as im just learning about them also

Kyle

at a mature size, i would go by that you need to have 75 gallons for the first 3 and 20 gallons each for the rest. Which would work out to 6-7. They are a LOT happier with space to move around and to have a lot of space for wood and plants for hiding throughout. they can happily stay as a small shoal without casualties, feed often and pay attention to their actions. they do things in a very obvious manor. i find it easy to see their mood/hunger.

PS whats the other forum you speak of? i always need more info on RBPs as im just learning about them also

Kyle

cheers pal

#99###.com has a section for piranhas and is pretty active lots of lovely pics but no real posts givnig the most obvious info if you catch my drift

PM me and I will direct you folk to the best piranha forum,they wont let you post links to other forums on here, thats why its been changed.

You can keep a maximum of 4 adult reds in a tank of 75 us gallons, so 4foot by 18" by 18" is the minimum, then its 20 us gallons each per extra fish after that.

That size would be perfect for 6 adults, however if your buying juveniles I would buy 8 or so because its likely you will lose a few, if you dont then sell them on :)

You just have to settle for red bellies, other pygocentrus species can be shoaled such as ternetzi,piraya and caribe. If these are your first piranha's then I would recommend red bellies first but go for wild caught ones, they are much less skittish and more colourful.

Anything you need to ask shoot away :)

PM me and I will direct you folk to the best piranha forum,they wont let you post links to other forums on here, thats why its been changed.

You can keep a maximum of 4 adult reds in a tank of 75 us gallons, so 4foot by 18" by 18" is the minimum, then its 20 us gallons each per extra fish after that.

That size would be perfect for 6 adults, however if your buying juveniles I would buy 8 or so because its likely you will lose a few, if you dont then sell them on :)

You dont have to just settle for red bellies, other pygocentrus species can be shoaled such as ternetzi,piraya and caribe. If these are your first piranha's then I would recommend red bellies first but go for wild caught ones if you can find them (if your in the UK I know sellers), they are much less skittish and more colourful.

Anything you need to ask shoot away :)

There's a really nice piranha @ wildwoods but theres only one in stock :-( Bit pricey too but it looks good. When i get my next tank sorted i'm going to go down the piranha root, thinking of going with a single species in a 48x15x15 or something .

they are a beautiful fish to keep. I sit in a chair and watch them all the time. Very interesting how they react towards eachother. They do everything with purpose but it almost seems random at the same time. I especially like watching my female gaurd her ground when shes feeling the need to keep the boys away :D its so distracting, i forget the TV is on. they are very close to being my favorite fish, only next to my Red devil who is just full of personality for a single fish in a large tank ;)

Kyle

There's a really nice piranha @ wildwoods but theres only one in stock :-( Bit pricey too but it looks good. When i get my next tank sorted i'm going to go down the piranha root, thinking of going with a single species in a 48x15x15 or something .

Which fish have you got your eye on?

cheers jOHNNY :good:

Not sure yet , just one fo the smaller Sera species, will sort that out when i get to it though, i'd love to have another 4x2x2 or 5x2x2 and get either a single large piranha or a shoal of king piranha's, gotta get money and the mrs to let me first:)

Not sure yet , just one fo the smaller Sera species, will sort that out when i get to it though, i'd love to have another 4x2x2 or 5x2x2 and get either a single large piranha or a shoal of king piranha's, gotta get money and the mrs to let me first:)

Oh, you sai you had your eye on one at wildwoods :lol:

If your after any piranhas and wildwoods dont have them in, drop me a pm and I'll point you in the right direction ;)

cheers jOHNNY :good:

No worries :)

Yeh there was one at wildwoods i like the look of but they only had the one and if i got them i'd want a nice group:) i've been reading on the piranha website about them that you';re on some good information on there:)

WHAT do you guys feed your piranhas....what if you forget to feed them won't attack each other. They are banned in my country anyway :sad: if I caN GET THEM I WILL put them in one of my ponds, I just want them to rid of all street cats that cause me MADNESS!! are they realy good eaters?

i feed mine a variety of foods. I feed them once a day and no they dont attack eachother if i dont feed them daily. I think thats because mine have lots of space and hiding spots, but they are relatively civalized overall. I wouldnt put one in a pond IMO

Kyle

Yeh there was one at wildwoods i like the look of but they only had the one and if i got them i'd want a nice group:) i've been reading on the piranha website about them that you';re on some good information on there:)

Ah was it piraya? They can be abit of a handful when they get bigger, you not considering red bellies? wild caught ones are a hundred times better than tank bred imo.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back