How many plants for silent cycle?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Animallover😍

Fishaholic
Reaction score
This is the amount of plants I currently have in my aquarium...
aquarium with all plants.jpg

I put vinyl on the back, but got a couple air bubbles. Still looks good tho!
water wisteria pond 3.jpg
water wisteria from pond.jpg
water wisteria pond 2.jpg

I came upon some water wisteria in a pond. Cleaned it thoroughly and put in aquarium. It was half emerged, but seems to be holding up well.
frogbit (1).jpg
frogbit.jpg

frogbit. The vinyl looks terrible from above.
If this is enough plants, and as soon as I fix the pH problem, I think I'll add about 2 fish per week.

Ive never used Wisteria but read a few days back that it can be left floating on the surface. Is this true? If so will it work better as a cycling plant when on the surface of planted?

Ive never used Wisteria but read a few days back that it can be left floating on the surface. Is this true? If so will it work better as a cycling plant when on the surface of planted?
Yes, it can be used as a floating plant and demonstrates the abilities of other floating plants...to a lesser degree.
I'd keep the wisteria in the tank, (perhaps more to the sides) and get some more specifically floating plants...perhaps more of what you already have.
Myself, I'm rather fond of Salvinia.

I used to have salvinia but one summer it all turned up its toes, went brown and died within a couple of weeks. Someone suggested back then that this was due to the heatwave we were in the middle of causing a lot of condensation under the lid and that plants with hairy leaves like salvinia don't like condensation dripping on the leaves. Whether this is true or not I have no idea, but all the salvinia did die :(

That's the reason I now have floating plants with hairless leaves, just in case.

As much plants as you can while still looking nice to you and leaving at least some water for fish to swim in if they that sort of fish. But realistically you are starting with small plants, you will cut and replant stems as you go along, so when you stock with fish start gradually and keep monitoring the ammonia to check the plant growth (and eventually at least a few BB) can keep up.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back