How many pellets per day?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BMBLSAD

Reaction score
Hey all,
On Saturday last (5/11) I brought a new betta home to keep me company in my home office (He's in a 5g aquarium that I cycled first). I've read a lot of information about bettas. Lots and lots of advice to not overfeed, but very little that describes how much a betta should eat per day. Knowing that their stomach is about as large as their, I've been giving about 6 pellets over the course of the day (2 in AM, 2 early PM, and 2 late PM). Is this okay? He's still kinda small.

Thanks!
Beth

Attachments

• Tyrion.jpg
    Tyrion.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 182
What brand of pellet are you using? I usually feed just twice a day, the exact amount varies for each betta/tank as most the tanks have other inhabitants that also eat them.

I read about 3 pellets per feeding. I feed twice a day. Good luck!

I just wanted to point out that their stomach is actually not the same size as their eye. Their stomach is bigger which leads quite a few people to actually underfeed their fish. 3-4 pellets per feeding is probably about right though. I just wanted to know, are you feeding him anything else other than pellets? And what pellets are you feeding him?

I just wanted to point out that their stomach is actually not the same size as their eye. Their stomach is bigger which leads quite a few people to actually underfeed their fish. 3-4 pellets per feeding is probably about right though. I just wanted to know, are you feeding him anything else other than pellets? And what pellets are you feeding him?

Thanks! I am feeding omega one betta buffet pellets, 42% protein. But wheat flour is the 3rd ingredient after salmon and herring. I'm planning to pick up some frozen brine shrimp and blood worms this weekend to supplement, but right now it's just pellets. I'll increase the pellets for the next couple of days and then reduce on teh days he gets treats. He really likes to eat. Does a little tail fin dance after he attacks his pellet. :)

The pellets you're feeding aren't bad, but the first three ingredients really should be protein. I bet he'll certainly enjoy the frozen food though!

Mine likes Hikari pellets. At first I thought they were awfully little but then I got some Tetra BettaMin and he couldn't bite them down. I'm cheap, so I use a sharp knife to cut them in half. Now he can eat them. They tend to sink too fast and he won't eat them off the bottom. The Hikari float longer. Anyway, I feed him four or five times a day. Seven pellets each time. He eats it all every time. He has doubled his size in four months. He is now what I consider to be an exceptionally well grown specimen. I recently caught a mayfly and gave it to him. He loved it! I ran across an outfit out of San Diego that sells wingless fruit flies and cultures. Their website has a video of what they call tetras feasting on fruit flies although the fish look like Rasbora het' to me. I am going to get my betta some fruit flies. Every fish does better with variety. They love frozen bloodworms too. I think the freeze dried bloodworms are kind of low quality but he likes them.

I previously posted that I feed my betta four or five times a day. Well, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer sometimes. Yeah, he wolfs it down but I think I'm killing him with kindness. He is a fatso. His scales won't lay down. They're ever so slightly angled out. "Fat guy in a little coat". I think I'm going to do a slight Weight Watchers routine on him. So please people don't listen to everything I say.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back