How many of you...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mlee0332

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I was in Wal-mart the other day and I saw the new filter cartridges for the regent filters. The bag says, "New and improved carbon. Now removes chlorine and chloramine!!!" I just laughed... But what do you think?

Maybe some part of the filter is impregnated with a safe water mix.
Did you read the description

Chris

No, i just saw it walking by... I'll have to look some time...

that's what I said...

Their boxes ALWAYS said New and improved carbon, but never that it removes such things...

Now what if someone were to believe that, and put the fish in there w/out dechlor???

we all know how long carbon works...

The thing is carbon does remove chlorine and chlorine and is quite good at it too. However By the time the filter has got rid of the chlorine and chlorine the damage will already of been done.

What I find really annoying is that companys can get away with miss leading claims.

Plain old active carbon will get rid of chlorine. Chloramine is tougher to get rid of. I wouldn't be surprised if it did get rid of it too though.

But the carbon doesn't remove the chlorine until it runs through the filter. It would already have been in contact with the fish for a fair amount of time, and it would probably kill off or prevent bacteria colonies from establishing in the media.

The claims are true, but worded in a way to mislead inexperienced or uneducated fishkeepers.

Oops, didn't know it was true, but I did figure if it was it gets it out too late... It took almost 2 weeks for the water to change clear again after medicating... And that was with fresh carbon :S

Most reactions

Back