How Many Live Plants For My Betta Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

danele

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, just got myself a fluval chi 21L tank which is W25cm x L25cm x H41cm, im going to put a betta and a zebra snail in it, just wondering how many live plants could go in there? Considering a java fern as its supposed to be low maintenance and its my first tank. Dont want it to look over crowded or to empty. Suggestions welcome!

I like to stuff a tank but a betta often wants a bit of room to swim freely. Try 4 or 5 plants in a tiny tank like that. With your low powered standard lamp, only the lowest of low light plants will thrive.

Thanks for the info. If i can have 4/5 plants can you recommend any? I only know of java fern and i dont want all the same (dont like moss).

Thanks for info,that's one nice looking plant. After much consideration and the advice, i've decided to go for 1 java fern, 1 anubias and 1 crypt. Just abit more info would be appreciated, can the java fern and anubias attach to smooth pebbles? Can i push the pebbles/rock into my sand? Does the crypt go straight into sand? Thanks

I have a 21.6 litre with a betta, zebra snail and two african dwarf frogs. I've planted mine with some simple plants. Java fern, Anubias and Cabmoba:

2012-03-17210028.jpg

2012-03-17210019.jpg

As you can see he was checking out the zebra snail lol, good luck with your tank.

Thanks for info,that's one nice looking plant. After much consideration and the advice, i've decided to go for 1 java fern, 1 anubias and 1 crypt. Just abit more info would be appreciated, can the java fern and anubias attach to smooth pebbles? Can i push the pebbles/rock into my sand? Does the crypt go straight into sand? Thanks
Yes you can attach it to pebbles but the roots have to stay above the substrate. Mine is all attached to bogwood and stone and sitting on the top of the gravel. Java Fern and anuibias are easy to grow that's why I chose them. They have to have their roots above the substrate. Other plants you just make a hole in the sand and push them in gently like you would plant any plant in the ground.

As you can see in my pics they're all on wood sitting on the surface. The java fern at the back right is on a rock and the cabmoba at the back left is a plant that you have to plant properly in the substrate so that is just simply pushed into the gravel.

BTW my sister just got a fluval chi and added a another Betta to hers. Nice little tanks. We're obsessed with our bettas lol.

Thanks for your help marie. Nice tank and betta btw. Its going to be my first betta but ive got i feeling, its one of many :rolleyes:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back