How Many in a 20 Gal

Briggan

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
Alright, so I have my two little lion heads in a 20 gallon tank. They are both very small (one is maybe 3ā€ the other is around 2ā€).
What do you think if I added another? I know itā€™s already really small but I honestly canā€™t get enough of these fish.
The two that I already have Iā€™ve had for months, since the summer, and I havenā€™t noticed any growth in wen or length since their purchase.
Let me know what you think, Iā€™m happy with what I have if itā€™s not possible.
Thanks!

NO MORE. I too am totally addicted to getting more fish but for a 20 gallon tank and considering that it's goldfish I would say three might be overstocking. You could always try it but be prepared for major water changes once or twice weekly or buying a 30 gallon tank. With goldfish (besides eventually getting really big even if it's slowly) they are super-poopers and messy eaters so the amount of waste going into your 20 gallon tank is going to be major.

I would look for a goldfish compatible fish (meaning one that gets along with goldfish and can handle the colder temperatures) I assume you have no heater. I think that the Dojo Loach would be a perfect goldfish companion. Once you have one or two of these (and they grow to about 6 inches but are like ropes so there isn't too much mass) you will forever give up your idea that a gold fish was ever your favorite fish. They are the clowns in the fish world - for your tank don't get more than 1 or 2. I have 4 and they sleep curled up together (I count heads to make sure they are all alive - they play hard and sleep hard). Mine LOVE the bubble stone and take turns "launching" themselves out of the top of the bubbler and then diving back in like kids at a theme park. They supposedly get very tame. So do a little research on these guys They also like moving plants and other objects around just for fun. Luckily most of my plants are very sturdy or float on top of the water.

I would REALLY encourage you to save up quickly for a 29 gallon tank - they are actually really affordable - but you will have the cost of a filter and other accessories unless you buy one of the package deals which are good deals for newbies. I'm too picky about my filters so I just keep their filters as backups in case I have a failure. None come with thermometers and as long as you don't switch to tropical fish you don't need one.

Here is info about the Dojo:
https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+885+2099&pcatid=2099

Look at the temperatures they tolerate and the "excellent companion for fancy goldfish" I think you will be very pleased with these fish. I've never seen anything like them!

The fish in Jan's link is also known as the weather loach. Here is more information about it https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/misgurnus-anguillicaudatus/

However, you'll notice that both links require a tank bigger than 20 gallons, and Seriously Fish comments that they shouldn't be kept with slower swimming fancy goldfish, though they are fine with single tailed goldfish.

I think the Dojo's will be fine with any other fish - I have a 29 gallon community aquarium and they literally get along with everybody even when somebody jabs them. I've never seen them try to eat a fin and I have Pearl Gourami's in there with very tempting fins and rather bad attitudes. They do, however, move plants and structures to their own design - keeps me laughing.

Regardless of what he does now he is already going to need a bigger tank as these goldfish increase in size - that is just a given but I figured the worst thing to get (even for a 29 gallon tank) would be another goldfish. So since he's determined to get a new fish (I know that feeling) why not get one that will grow with the goldfish (a little faster) and yet are overall less mass and less messy than a third goldfish would be. They ALL will eventually be too big for a 20 gallon tank and just too active for that small of one. My Dojo's do great in a 29 gallon with lots of other fish - they are having the time of their lives (I put in extra air stones just for them) and it tooks more than plenty big for them since they spend most of their time towards the bottom of the tank. Goldfish are rather fun loving fish as well so I figured they might as well get big together.

My recommendation stands LOL. But get a bigger tank soon.

OH and mine are far prettier than that ugly picture - I have two 2 albino and two gold/bright yellow - VERY pretty fish unlike the horrible grey thing - but that's probably how most look in the wild. Mine, I believe, are captive bred - which is probably where they got the colors.

Thank you, but unfortunately I would like to keep this an all goldfish tank. I am aware I will either need to upgrade or move the goldies at some point but I would like to keep my little guys in the 20 for now.
Iā€™m mostly interested in just knowing if a third little guy would be too much while theyā€™re still small.
Thanks!

*its she by the way, please.

Don't get another goldfish until you have a tank big enough to hold 3 full grown lion heads. For one lion head, you need at least 20 gallons, preferably 30. Add 10 gallons for every goldfish after that. For 3 lion head goldfish, you need a 40 - 50 gallon aquarium.

Even if you are planning on upgrading later, wait to get the third fish. Sometimes its easy to overlook overcrowding in a tank and keeping putting off getting an upgrade. Your fish will flourish in the big tank and the chances of health issues later will decrease, saving you lots of stress!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back