How Many Guppies Can I Put In A Ten Gallon?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

rpgmomma8404

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
[SIZE=10.5pt]I currently have two male guppies in my tank, finally after waiting forever for it to cycle. They have been in there since Friday and are doing very well. I am wondering how many more I can add. I noticed the bigger male been picking on the smaller male since last night. I know it would probably be a good idea to get some females. I'm just trying to figure out the total that I can have. I wasn't planning on getting anything else other than guppies, although I have been looking at mystery snails lately. Just some advice would be nice. Everything I've read so far has given a different amount or mixed information.[/SIZE]

you could probaly add some females but keep in mind your tank would be overstocked with fry so its best to get another tank for them, id say you could get 4 females

I agree with ncguppy, in a ten gallon 2 males and 4 females would work, but you'd quickly be overrun with fry.  If you want only males you can add probably 4-6 more.  I used to have a tank with only male guppies, it was funny to watch them displaying to each other! :p

I vote for male guppies only tank, especially if you are never going to buy a second tank to put the possible fry.  I find male guppies very funny and entertaining. Mine always stay in a tight group like some sort of schooling fish(the tank is large though) They do display to each other most of the time and may chase a bit until they figure they are from the same gender
smile.png
I think they establish some sort of hierarchy/dominancy first too.

I agree with everyone on top. Get 4 females if you plan on getting an extra tank for the fry, if not stick with males.

10 gallons will hold 10 guppies with regular water changes (1 per week at 20%) and a good filtration system, that's well established.
 the ratio for guppies 1 male to every 2-3 females, personally I would get another male and 7 females, that's a nice ratio, you are going to get fry regardless of what u do, so either have a small grow out tank to raise the fry, or find a local fish store who is willing to take the fry for free or for store credit which will get you your fish food etc.

The general rule to stick to is 1" of fish per gallon.

Most of my ten gallons I had when breeding I had 15-20 guppies in without problems, well filtered with regular water changes.
I off loaded my fry to local fish stores, and also had a grow out tank that was 2ft where I raised them for a few months and sold them on or got store credit for (usually around 50p per fish at this age.

Good luck, here to help if you have anymore questions.

(almost 20 years experience of breeding livebearers.)

no offense but i dont agree with you especially on the water changes 20 percent and also the fact females grow to 2.5 and if you stick by that rule its overstocked and you cant just do a measly 20 percent water change a week more like a 50. and not to mention the male guppies are probaly fancy and thier fins make there size larger too.

also guppies add significantly to the bioload , i think the best thing to do is 2 males 4 females

ncguppy830 said:
no offense but i dont agree with you especially on the water changes 20 percent and also the fact females grow to 2.5 and if you stick by that rule its overstocked and you cant just do a measly 20 percent water change a week more like a 50. and not to mention the male guppies are probaly fancy and thier fins make there size larger too.

also guppies add significantly to the bioload , i think the best thing to do is 2 males 4 females
20% is enough in an established tank, if it was not enough for that specific tank, up to 25% or 30% if you change 50% then all your basically doing is more work than needed.
10 guppies in a 10G tank is absolutely fine with adequate filtering, you cant just say that because a fish as a longer fin it must have more room lol, long fin bristlenose are generally 4-5" but adding their fins your talking 8-9" you really saying this needs to be compensated for?

You talk about over stocking, well that can be argued from many angles, people give the 1" per gallon rule as a guide, not a "fact"

Many people, including myself when I was breeding, and even before I started breeding, would over filter tanks, compensate for over stocking, all you have to do is look at any lfs, at any point you go in, their guppies, mollies, platys, swordtails, endlers, grossidens, black chins, etc are all well crowded, this is constant in most popular lfs and they are healthy and in very well looked after tanks.
Its more about the filtration than the stocking, if you add 2 guppies per week to a 10G tank, there is no problem what so ever in taking it up to ten over the course of 5 weeks, the filtration will be more than capable of handling that, beneficial bacteria will colonise in your filter more and more as the loads get higher.

As I said, I went up to 20 in my 10G "I had about 6 tanks of them) all the water parameters check out spot on with all established filters (and they was running off sponge filters off an air pump too
wink.png
"
If your ammonia and nitrite levels are fine with this load, there is nothing to worry about and no problem.

If you think a 10G tank is over stocked with 10 guppies, then no offence to you too, but, its a ridiculous statement.

Just to add, I told the op how I had my tanks so they had a insight to what others do, I am not telling them to do it, its simply information to whats possible.

whatever i think its just a little to much dont want to agrue about just wanting whats best for the fish

plus i dont know if she needs 10 guppies yes a 10 gallon could have them but really what would be the point.

ncguppy830 said:
whatever i think its just a little to much dont want to agrue about just wanting whats best for the fish

plus i dont know if she needs 10 guppies yes a 10 gallon could have them but really what would be the point.
No argument here buddy, The thing is about fish tanks as you will know, every tank and the individual who owns the tank is different, we all just work off the guides put in place.
we could have a identical setup yet yours may need more frequent changes than mine, or vice versa, or you may have to do more % water change than me, even though we have a similar load.
Its all about the individual learning what's going on their own tank and learning how much water change they to do, and how often etc, we give advice as a guide but at the end of the day, every individual will learn how their tank needs to be run to maximum success with minimum effort.

I do agree that you can have 10 guppies in a 10 gallon. I only said 2 males and 4 females because there will be fry anytime soon. making them a lot more than 10. But yeah I think with good filter and water changes as needed, you can keep more than 10 guppies in a ten gallon. But everyone has their own opinion.

5teady_2012 said:

20% is enough in an established tank, if it was not enough for that specific tank, up to 25% or 30% if you change 50% then all your basically doing is more work than needed.
10 guppies in a 10G tank is absolutely fine with adequate filtering, you cant just say that because a fish as a longer fin it must have more room lol, long fin bristlenose are generally 4-5" but adding their fins your talking 8-9" you really saying this needs to be compensated for?

You talk about over stocking, well that can be argued from many angles, people give the 1" per gallon rule as a guide, not a "fact"

Many people, including myself when I was breeding, and even before I started breeding, would over filter tanks, compensate for over stocking, all you have to do is look at any lfs, at any point you go in, their guppies, mollies, platys, swordtails, endlers, grossidens, black chins, etc are all well crowded, this is constant in most popular lfs and they are healthy and in very well looked after tanks.
Its more about the filtration than the stocking, if you add 2 guppies per week to a 10G tank, there is no problem what so ever in taking it up to ten over the course of 5 weeks, the filtration will be more than capable of handling that, beneficial bacteria will colonise in your filter more and more as the loads get higher.

As I said, I went up to 20 in my 10G "I had about 6 tanks of them) all the water parameters check out spot on with all established filters (and they was running off sponge filters off an air pump too
wink.png
"
If your ammonia and nitrite levels are fine with this load, there is nothing to worry about and no problem.

If you think a 10G tank is over stocked with 10 guppies, then no offence to you too, but, its a ridiculous statement.

Just to add, I told the op how I had my tanks so they had a insight to what others do, I am not telling them to do it, its simply information to whats possible.

I concur 100% excellent post sir!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back