How many gallon for angelfish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
My beautiful white female angelfish had killed 2 males and almost killed 1 male angel (little dorsal fin and fins left) in 55 gallons tank. she’s also hate being in a group so last month i put her in 10gallons quarantine tank because of her hating everything, she seems happy living alone. now i think about buying bigger tank, which size should i buy for alone angel?

The size has nothing to do with behaviour; putting this fish in with larger angelfish will not solve the problem, as it is natural behaviour. The two larger angelfish will either be dead quite soon, or if one of them should be dominant the troublemaker will soon be dead.

Angelfish are shoaling fish, which means they live in groups. These groups are smaller than the shoals of characins (tetras, etc) and similar, and usually somewhere around a dozen or two. In an aquarium, they need a group of at least five, and this means an aquarium which is at least four feet (120 cm) in length. But this may not be workable depending upon the individual fish. Some take their aggressiveness more seriously than others. Never have two, three or four together.

If you do have five (or more), there will likely be male and female and a pair may form and spawn. This can cause real problems and may require separation to avoid the death of subordinate fish. Point is, angelfish have special requirements and bring serious risks.

I had a mated pair of angelfish in a 55 gallon tall tank that lived together for many years, They were very aggressive when it was feeding time towards any other fish in the tank. I ended up having a pleco and a couple of loaches (bottom feeders) which the angelfish left alone. One grew to 6 inches the other over 4 inches

The size has nothing to do with behaviour; putting this fish in with larger angelfish will not solve the problem, as it is natural behaviour. The two larger angelfish will either be dead quite soon, or if one of them should be dominant the troublemaker will soon be dead.

Angelfish are shoaling fish, which means they live in groups. These groups are smaller than the shoals of characins (tetras, etc) and similar, and usually somewhere around a dozen or two. In an aquarium, they need a group of at least five, and this means an aquarium which is at least four feet (120 cm) in length. But this may not be workable depending upon the individual fish. Some take their aggressiveness more seriously than others. Never have two, three or four together.

If you do have five (or more), there will likely be male and female and a pair may form and spawn. This can cause real problems and may require separation to avoid the death of subordinate fish. Point is, angelfish have special requirements and bring serious risks.
She laying eggs every 1 month too. really wants baby angels, never seen this aggressive angel before.

Last edited:
Angelfish are a pain in the butt, unfortunately they are my favourite fish.
Why she wont pick her pair though she laying egg every month and theres many male to choose.

Why she wont pick her pair though she laying egg every month and theres many male to choose.

Can you explain this? I thought you only had three angelfish and this one was being aggressive?

I've never seen this happening, anytime my angels have spawned there have always been two of them.

Can you explain this? I thought you only had three angelfish and this one was being aggressive?
I meant Everytime I put male in there she almost killed them ,I have to n of male in other tanks

I meant Everytime I put male in there she almost killed them ,I have to n of male in other tanks

Angelfish (like most cichlids to varying degrees) must select their mate. Any male placed in with a female is usually not going to work, unless the male and female happen to accept each other. This is rare. It is better to have a tank of fish and observe them closely, and find a pair that seem to accept each other (you observe their interactions to see this). They are more likely to bond. Sometimes this only lasts a while and they "divorce," but it is generally more successful.

You have a female that is clearly stressed and has become aggressive. She might or might not accept a male from a group of males. But putting one male in with her is not likely to work.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back