How Many Fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

snagglepuss

Reaction score
i have bought a tank for my son it is 4 inch width, 9 1\2 inch deep, 53 inch long it holds i think 21 litres water. i want to put small gold fish in it for him how many can i put in it.
i have a fluval 2 plus filter & a air pump
what other coldwater fish could i put in it.

Hi,
The tanks too small for goldfish which need at least 10 gallons per fish. You could have a small shoal of white cloud mountain minnows though as they stay small and are very pretty. Or you could add a heater and get a betta and some african dwarf frogs.

Emma

:hi: to the forum

thanks for the advice i will try to find a pet store that sells the white cloud minnows
also what about coldwater plecs will they be alright in my tank?

If you want algae eaters you could get some hillstream loaches often sold as borneo suckers butterfly plecs etc, they get all kinds of made up names. They need fast flowing water have a look at www.loaches.com for more information most grow between 2 and 3 inches. There aren't any proper plecs that stay small enough for the tank really. Another option would be applesnails but make sure that they are brigs as cannas get huge, have a look on www.applesnail.net for more information.

Emma :)

Are you sure those proportions are correct? Over 4 feet long and only 4 1/2 wide- sounds a very odd-shaped tank.

I have seen these tanks too. They are obviously only possible for small fish, like WCMs; medium-sized fish would have difficulty even turning round. The main problem I see is of cover; even small fish have a need to "get away" from the viewer and take shelter if they are not to become stressed. You will need to think carefully about this when you plan your tank- could you fit in some tall thin plants, either real or plastic?

i can get plants in it i have bought a small hollow log thats fits in it for fish to hide in. how many white cloud minnows can i put in the tank?

Hi,

I just added the dimentions to a calculator and its nearly 9 US gallons so you can fit 9 inches of adult sized fish in there as white clouds don't get much bigger than an inch 8 fish would be good. White clouds come in a white form and a long finned form so shop around for variety, they will all shoal together.

Emma :)

I think the best (and most interesting) option would be to make it into a river tank. Stick a big powerhead at one end, get a few hillstream loaches and some WCMM, sand and big rocks at the bottom.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back