How many fish should I add in one sitting

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ravenes

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
How many fish should I buy at the store? Because I was also wondering does plants affect ammonia spikes? I have a couple live ones. I was also wondering about should I buy the white skirts or the corydoras. My white skirts are in a pack of three. Was wondering should I finish the school or make a school of corys?

How big is the rank, what kind of plants, and what are your water parameters(PH, GH, etc)?
Is your tank already cycled? Is your substrate sand, gravel, or soil?

As @Circus mentioned, the size of your rank is important...(lol, just joshin’)

But the point is well brought up, there are a whole bunch of factors to adding fish to an aquarium.

Some plants will uptake a bit of ammonia, but you want to make sure your tank is fully cycled and has the bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate, which plants will more readily use.

that being said, plants are all different and consume nutrients at different rates.

instead of asking how many of what kind of fish you should add to the tank, I think you should do some more research on the general principles of how aquariums function.

this will in turn broaden your knowledge base and allow you to ask more targeted and specific questions with necessary details that our members can more accurately answer for you.

you’ll also become a better hobbyist for it, and your fish will thank you for it.

some good starting points would be the nitrogen cycle and quarantining fish.

good luck! And if you need more direction, this forum is full of great articles and thread to get you started.

As @Circus mentioned, the size of your rank is important...(lol, just joshin’)

But the point is well brought up, there are a whole bunch of factors to adding fish to an aquarium.

Some plants will uptake a bit of ammonia, but you want to make sure your tank is fully cycled and has the bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate, which plants will more readily use.

that being said, plants are all different and consume nutrients at different rates.

instead of asking how many of what kind of fish you should add to the tank, I think you should do some more research on the general principles of how aquariums function.

this will in turn broaden your knowledge base and allow you to ask more targeted and specific questions with necessary details that our members can more accurately answer for you.

you’ll also become a better hobbyist for it, and your fish will thank you for it.

some good starting points would be the nitrogen cycle and quarantining fish.

good luck! And if you need more direction, this forum is full of great articles and thread to get you started.
While I threw away the container containing the plant I have a sand substrate and I believe it’s cycled. I just added in the sand but I added the water to it from the old gravel substrate. I even used the same filter. A fluval canister filter. So idk if that qualifies as the tank being cycled. But I did add seachem prime and sea hem stability before I added the fish. I’m not the best fish keeper in the world I guess sorry if I’m being rude.

image.jpg

Here’s a pic of the tank it’s a 30 gallon tall tank

First of all, you’re not being rude. So don’t apologize for be rude. You sound Canadian.

you know that every time a Canadian says ‘Sorry’, a TimBit is born....

throwing chemicals and filters at a tank is no guaranteed way to ensure you tank is cycled.

best way is to get a water test kit, watch the ammonia spike, the go down while the nitrite goes up, then the nitrite will go down as nitrates will go up. Ammonia and nitrites should be zero, but having seen evidence that they both went up and then went down to nothing. It’s more complex than that.

Dont “believe” the tank is cycled, know it is. That’s the best situation for all of you fish’s well being.

Edit: using “cycled” media from the filter, or better yet , the same filter (as you did) is a great way to help establish the cycle, important to note that water won’t contain the bacteria you need. These bacteria grow on surfaces of the aquarium and do live in the water column, so you’re well on your way.

but you need to get a water testing kit to truly know where you’re at with the water parameters.

I’ll check my nitrate as well. I just got the container out it’s called the gold ribbon plant from top fin
I don’t know what that is, but check everything!

the more you know, the more we know, and better to help you

Sand is good for corys, and if your ammonia and nitrite come back negative and tank is cycled (which it should be if you are using the same media and had fish in quickly) then I would finish out the school of whiteskirts before moving on to the next kind of fish. They can get fin nippy when in too small of numbers. I like to add all of my fish of one type st the same time, as long as it is not more than 30% of my total end stocking.

I don't have any experience with that kind of plant, though. I tend to prefer quick growing and easy plants like hornwort and duckweed. I would try Googling the plant type to check it out.

Also, dont forget to quarantine your fishes for abt one month or 4 weeks before introducing them to your tank (introduce max 3 fishes per week so as to not stress them out too much)

I also see you have 2 Skirt Tetras (possibly albino? Hard to tell because of the blue light). Tetras need to have tanks that are long, not tall. It's possible that your tank is to tall and not long enough. What are the dimensions of the tank?

As others have mentioned, the number of new fish that can be added to an aquarium at one time is dependent on a lot of factors. The volume of water, established cycled tank or not, size of the new fish... If it's a fairly new setup, even if 'cycled', I'd only add a couple of new fish at a time, waiting a week before adding any more. In a well established tank, a few more could be added. However, it's always prudent to only increase bio-load slowly to ensure the beneficial bacteria keeps up. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back