How many filters do you use???

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ami-Jane

Reaction score
Just read this on a website from an article in the plant forum...

“If possible, give preference to two smaller, independent filters than a single larger one. It makes things easier for you and more secure for your tank - if one of the filters clogs or stops working you don't lose all of your filtering capacity.”

Can see the logic obviously. What do people actually do? One or two filters... more??

Currently purchasing items for my new tank. I was going to be buying the Fluval U4 but now wondering whether to get two of the U2 or a U3 and a U1????

I have 2 smaller filters but by accident not intention. I used to have one big one, but the motor stopped working. In the cupboard I had a smaller version of the same filter from a tank I had to close down, so I used the pump from that, then bought a second small one as it was cheaper than a new big one, and split the existing media between the two filters.
Eheim Biopowers are good for doing this with :)

That's very good advice about two filters. Never seen anyone do it but it is a very good idea especially in a bigger tank. I have smaller tanks and I use one sponge filter but I have read that it is a good idea to run two filters in case one goes kaput or to have another ready to go in case you are setting up a new tank. The extra one gives you a cycled tank all ready to go.

There is at first glance apparent logic to having two filters instead of one, but it is not something I would ever do, unless it was a very large tank (say, 8 feet in length). There is a lot of misunderstanding in this hobby about filters and filtration, and this only feeds that.

An aquarium should not rely on the filter to survive. If it does, there is a serious problem. Stocking the aquarium properly for the water volume means it will manage without the filter if it should fail. The prime purpose of the filter is to create water movement and keep the water clear...which is a very different thing from clean water. Once the aquarium beecomes established (not just cycled but established) there will be more bacteria and more different species of bacteria living in the substrate than in the filter.

The other thing is that the filter should always be suited to the needs of the fish in terms of water movement. Fish are affected by currents, just as they are by light, the "decor," and other fish species.

Larger filters or more filters have no benefit to filtration, provided the tank is biologically balanced to begin with.

In 3 of my tanks I have a hob filter and also an air pump operated sponge filter.

My 3 tanks are all lightly filtered and have sponge media. From a biological perspective I am really not worried about failure. I have a spare sponge filter and air pump I use for my QT and another small spare filter that came with a new that I never used. If a filter fails I'll just swap it out and re-use the existing sponges.

There is at first glance apparent logic to having two filters instead of one, but it is not something I would ever do, unless it was a very large tank (say, 8 feet in length). There is a lot of misunderstanding in this hobby about filters and filtration, and this only feeds that.

I thought the filter also provides oxygen air bubbles to the fish aswell, I have a large one with guppies, and they seem to enjoy playing in the stream, they swim towards it then looks like their getting a ride they Cnt get enough of it lol

An aquarium should not rely on the filter to survive. If it does, there is a serious problem. Stocking the aquarium properly for the water volume means it will manage without the filter if it should fail. The prime purpose of the filter is to create water movement and keep the water clear...which is a very different thing from clean water. Once the aquarium beecomes established (not just cycled but established) there will be more bacteria and more different species of bacteria living in the substrate than in the filter.

The other thing is that the filter should always be suited to the needs of the fish in terms of water movement. Fish are affected by currents, just as they are by light, the "decor," and other fish species.

Larger filters or more filters have no benefit to filtration, provided the tank is biologically balanced to begin with.

None
I use a sump on my freshwater tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back