How many female bettas in a 40g?

Lira

Reaction score
I now have 15 ember tetras in my 40 gal breeder tank, and I am soon to add the juvenile female bettas. Are 6 enough to keep the peace? An aquarium shop employee just told me that 9-12 is best in a 40 gal. Is this true?

While I'm not an expert on sororities, I have successfully kept multiple female bettas together for three months in a 10 gallon aquarium (the reason it didn't work out longer was that a few died and that messed up the hierarchy).
Personally, I think 6 is an awesome number. Yeah, some people might be able to do 9-12, but I think 6 or 8 is perfectly fine.
When you think about it, bettas are usually only aggressive because of territory. So, when you have a 40 gallon aquarium, that gives them more space for swimming away from each other if necessary than you would if you added more bettas. 6 is a good starting number for establishing a pecking order.
I hope you have success!

I agree with everything said above by @Morganna BUT I will say that if you do a group of female bettas, you should ONLY have bettas. They may go after the other fish... It's definitely a risk. They may decide to be friends OR they may not... And it's always best to be safe in these situations...

I have had betta sororities, bronze cories, livebearers, shrimp, and snails together in the past with no issues. If it's REALLY heavily live planted you could have 12-15 without a problem IMO and experience. If no heavily live planted, 6 or 8 would be a perfect number.

I would recommend getting sisters from a breeder. They would work out much better.

While I'm not an expert on sororities, I have successfully kept multiple female bettas together for three months in a 10 gallon aquarium (the reason it didn't work out longer was that a few died and that messed up the hierarchy).
Personally, I think 6 is an awesome number. Yeah, some people might be able to do 9-12, but I think 6 or 8 is perfectly fine.
When you think about it, bettas are usually only aggressive because of territory. So, when you have a 40 gallon aquarium, that gives them more space for swimming away from each other if necessary than you would if you added more bettas. 6 is a good starting number for establishing a pecking order.
I hope you have success!
Thank you. Sounds good to me. I just orders 6 juvenile sisters.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back