How many dwarf neon rainbowfish for 23 gallon?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SlenderSilver

Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be upgrading my current 10 gallon which houses only a male Betta to a new 105 litre/ 23 gallon tank. I'd like to get some Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish for the new tank and I'd like to know how many I could keep?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

They like a decent shoal, I'd say eight minimum. A nice size shoal is ten, this would fully stock the 105 litre tank with no other fish.

In the UK (not sure where you are) I have had problems getting disease free specimens. Persistent opening and closing of the mouth was the most obvious symptom so watch the tank carefully for a while before purchasing and don't buy from a tank that has sick fish.

Male betta are best kept alone, they can attack other fish, or other fish nip their fins. It is stressful all round. I recommend keeping the 10 gallon for him.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Rainbowfish do best in water with a pH above 7.0 and a GH above 200ppm.

Rainbowfish should be kept in groups of at least 6. Try to have even numbers of males (2, 4, 6 males) and similar numbers or more females.

Rainbowfish need some plant matter in their diet.

-------------------
If you get any rainbowfish, add some salt to their tank as soon as you get them. It helps them settle down and also kills a lot of diseases that affect them.

Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt (aquarium salt) for every 20 litres of tank water. Keep the salt in the tank for at least 2 weeks.

They like a decent shoal, I'd say eight minimum. A nice size shoal is ten, this would fully stock the 105 litre tank with no other fish.

In the UK (not sure where you are) I have had problems getting disease free specimens. Persistent opening and closing of the mouth was the most obvious symptom so watch the tank carefully for a while before purchasing and don't buy from a tank that has sick fish.

Male betta are best kept alone, they can attack other fish, or other fish nip their fins. It is stressful all round. I recommend keeping the 10 gallon for him.

Unfortunately, I won't be keeping the old 10 gallon as I don't have the space.

I appreciate that male Bettas are best kept alone but does that mean that they definitely can't be around some dwarf neon rainbow fish?

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Rainbowfish do best in water with a pH above 7.0 and a GH above 200ppm.

Rainbowfish should be kept in groups of at least 6. Try to have even numbers of males (2, 4, 6 males) and similar numbers or more females.

Rainbowfish need some plant matter in their diet.

-------------------
If you get any rainbowfish, add some salt to their tank as soon as you get them. It helps them settle down and also kills a lot of diseases that affect them.

Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt (aquarium salt) for every 20 litres of tank water. Keep the salt in the tank for at least 2 weeks.

The width (in cm) is 75x35x40.
I'm not sure on the GH and KH.
Yes, I've heard that they can be extremely diseased from the LFS.

So, do you think that 6 dwarf neon rainbow fish and 1 betta would be ok together?

No, the rainbows could cause problems to the Betta. Keep them separate. They also require different water chemistry (pH and GH).
I see, thank you.

What would be some good, active schooling fish to be with the Betta? Neons, cardinals?

Unfortunately, I won't be keeping the old 10 gallon as I don't have the space.

I appreciate that male Bettas are best kept alone but does that mean that they definitely can't be around some dwarf neon rainbow fish?
No, praecox rainbows are not aggressive but they are in breeding mode every single morning and the males flash breeding colours and get territorial over females. The betta will be stressed by this and could well get aggressive.

Also betta splendens like warmer, softer and slower moving water than praecox rainbows.

Most reactions

trending

Back