How many different foods do you have for your aquariums?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

yeti79

Reaction score
I always believed that a varied diet was important to healthy fish. I have 22 different foods for my fish although some I rarely use and others are used daily. Curious to see what others keep food wise for their aquariums. I keep dojo loaches, goldfish, white clouds, bettas, zebra danios, black kuhlis, bristlenose pleco and ghost shrimp in my tanks.

Last edited:
I have the following
Omega One ---
Frozen blood worms
Frozen mysis shrimp
Frozen brine shrimp
Freeze dried tubiflex worms
Freeze dried blood worms
Freeze dried brine shrimp
Tetra ---
Pond Sticks
Pleco wafers
Baby shrimp
Min granules
Min flakes
Betta Min pellets
Betta Min flakes
Wardley ---
Goldfish flakes
Tropical flakes
Goldfish medium floating pellets
Shrimp pellets
Aqueon ---
Cichlid pellets
Tropical Granules
Hakari ---
Daphnia
Crab cuisine
Interpet ---
Mealworm flake

Variety is certainly a benefit, not only because fish may have preferences (for whatever reason) but also in terms of the nutritional value. Many prepared foods contain additives that are best not fed to fish, so the ingredients is the key to look for.

Omega One prepared foods have no "meal" but whole fish, a real positive; they also have no fillers compared to Tetra and Wardley and some other brands. New Life Spectrum is another top quality brand. With one exception, being the Bug Bites, I only feed these two brands when it comes to prepared/dried foods, and I use three to alternate daily. Six actually, with three upper foods and three substrate-feeder foods alternating. There are one or two other quality brands I cannot get locally, so other members will undoubtedly suggest those as well. It really does make a difference.

I also feed frozen bloodworms and daphnia (Hikari brand here) but only once a week as a "treat." Daphnia is a good food, but bloodworms like any worms should not be fed more than once a week.

I thought I was the only one with a whole mess of foods..... Probably over 20 as well.

Bug bites caught my eye the other day and the price was reasonable.....is it any good?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Wow, and I thought having 5 different types of food and some treats for my tetras was a lot????

Last edited:
I thought I was the only one with a whole mess of foods..... Probably over 20 as well.

Bug bites caught my eye the other day and the price was reasonable.....is it any good?

My fish certainly like it. It sinks fairly quickly too, and the cories go charging around to eat it. Over on Ian Fuller's Corydoras World group, it is highly recommended.

My fish certainly like it. It sinks fairly quickly too, and the cories go charging around to eat it. Over on Ian Fuller's Corydoras World group, it is highly recommended.
I'll have to pick a few types up.

Any big difference between tropical and color enhancing formula?

I currently have some fish that are very finicky. Some days they eat anything. Other days they don't seem interested in anything. I went to some length to acquire these fish and I want them to be healthy and spawn. So, if I have to have lots of different foods to be sure they eat and live, so be it. This spring when the weather is more conducive to shipping I want to get some live food cultures going. When all else fails every fish will take live food. I saw a video somewhere of a big school of Rasbora Het's devouring wingless fruit flies. Those fish were going wild.

I'll have to pick a few types up.

Any big difference between tropical and color enhancing formula?

Ingredients like beta-carotene are said to enhance colour but I do not know if this is true or just another myth to get us spending money on useless gimmicks.

Fish colour will be at its best with quality food. So providing these is the safest thing.

Ingredients like beta-carotene are said to enhance colour but I do not know if this is true or just another myth to get us spending money on useless gimmicks.

Fish colour will be at its best with quality food. So providing these is the safest thing.
I think it's marketing hype. There are no magic bullets for anything.

I can't even begin to count the number/type of foods I have - I have some frozen food that I've tried to feed once or twice and nobody ate it and it was a smelly mess to remove -but maybe I need to try soaking it in garlic extract and cutting them up in smaller pieces. In my tank of "semi-aggressive" fish it can be a feeding frenzy where the aggression gets quite out of hand so I feed multiple foods simultaneously and in multiple locations.

Oh and I have one herbavour - a little chocolate Gourami I call "Mr Coffee" for some strange reason, anyway - I have greenies food specifically meant for him and I call him and then drop it in front of him. He ignores it in lieu of eating the carnivourous flakes and bloodworms. So much for having a vegetarian fish.

I too have tried the more expensive brands of "color-enhancing" foods. First thing that happened is that my two Red/White and Blue Gourami's (males) both turned a solid black where you could barely see their bright stripes. Occasionally the black goes away (sometimes just on one side) and the lovely stripes return - only to turn black again a week later. I don't THINK the color enhancing food initiated this but who knows - it does make life a little more interesting.

How many do I have or how many do I use? I agree with Byron in regards to Omega One and New Life Spectrum. The NLS has amazed me with my goldfish. I believe it’s Farley’s Bug Bites are good and you can get them for both your tropical and goldfish. Probably no big difference in what they contain but the goldfish brand is larger which is good for my fancy goldies with poor eyesight.

I always believed that a varied diet was important to healthy fish. I have 22 different foods for my fish although some I rarely use and others are used daily. Curious to see what others keep food wise for their aquariums. I keep dojo loaches, goldfish, white clouds, bettas, zebra danios, black kuhlis, bristlenose pleco and ghost shrimp in my tanks.
I feed omega one flakes and omega one shrimp pellets and microworms. It is interesting when I read the ingedients that they are the same in the shrimp pellets and the flakes. I thought shrimp pellets would be mostly shrimp.

I feed omega one flakes and omega one shrimp pellets and microworms. It is interesting when I read the ingedients that they are the same in the shrimp pellets and the flakes. I thought shrimp pellets would be mostly shrimp.

The list of ingredients on their website does not give percentages, just all the ingredients:

Made with real shrimp, these pellets are like no other. We purchase whole, fresh shrimp direct from Alaskan fishermen and women. It is 100% food grade and loaded with natural color enhancers and delicious cold-water proteins.
Ingredients:
Salmon, Whole Herring, Whole Shrimp, Wheat Flour, Wheat Germ, Pea Protein, Wheat Gluten, Kelp, Astaxanthin, Canthanxanthin, Potassium Sorbate, Ethoxyquin (Preservative), BHT (Preservative), BHA (Preservative), Natural and Artificial Colors, Ascorbyl Monophosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Inositol, Folic Acid, Biotin, Riboflavin, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back