how many Bnoses? Or otos?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

guppygirl

This picture just won champion in BW flowers!! YAY
Reaction score
First place at State 4-H horse show!! WHOOEE!!
Hi all,
I have a algae problem in my planted 55, and I'm in the process of getting co2 up and running, but in the meantime, I was thinking I could get a 'cleanup crew' for the tank. I have brown algae, green spot algae, and hair algae in the tank, Do you think I could put a couple otos in there and maybe a bristlenose or two? Would they eat this algae?
I have tons of shelter in the tank, sometimes I can't find fish.
How many bristlenoses can I get and how many otos can I get?
Thanks!
Robin :)

You've got 2 syno's and 3 corys at the moment right? So i would say you could get 2 (maybe 3) BN plecs or 4-6 Otto's without any problems. I also can't see any compatibility problems with your current fish. :)

I'd reccommend the plecs as they will probably do a better job on your assorted algae. :lol:

hi - I'd go with a pair - then the little ones can help out when they breed :)

Not sure why your adding CO2... If you have brown 'algae' it is caused by low light - Plants wont really benifit from CO2 if they arnt getting enought light to start with.

If your interested in ottos then you'd probably want something smaller than a bristlenose. Go to liveaquaria.com or something like that and look at there plecos. In particular the rubbernose's stay about 3 inch and are supposed to do really well on algae. No personal experience though sorry. Besides bristlenoses are kinda ugly. there are much prettier and smaller plec's out there.

Otto's will eat all of that algae except for the hair. I think the only thing that touches that is cae's and maybe american flag fish?

Torrean said:
If your interested in ottos then you'd probably want something smaller than a bristlenose. Go to liveaquaria.com or something like that and look at there plecos. In particular the rubbernose's stay about 3 inch and are supposed to do really well on algae. No personal experience though sorry. Besides bristlenoses are kinda ugly. there are much prettier and smaller plec's out there.

Otto's will eat all of that algae except for the hair. I think the only thing that touches that is cae's and maybe american flag fish?
Bristle noses are not ugly :p

They normaly get to about 4" - 5" max and will do a great job on the algea - most other smaller plecs dont actually eat algae.

american flagfish will eat hair algea if they are not fed. they do a pretty good job too!

Well, I'm adding co2 because I'm trying to balance the extra light out. (I have 130 watts of CF light... been trying to get a hold of 6700K bulbs, not 10000K!! :/ ) And plus recently I've been getting more green than brown algae. :crazy:
I will look into the plecs, they sound cute! :look: :rolleyes:
Yes, my two synos are very peacful, one upside down and a featherfin. I also have three cories, two melanistius and one punctatus.
Thanks for all your help guys!
Robin :)

You're right. I'm sorry I thought bristlenoses got to 7 inch. Thank you for correcting me or adding to my knowledge or whatever you'd call it. Do you know anything about rubbernoses? I'm thinking of getting one and I'd like to know if they eat algae. I noticed you said most smaller ones don't. What smaller than bristlnose plec's will eat algae.

Rubber noses will do a great job too. like wise they will get to 4-5" Max

Ottos are also in the Plec family but are VERY sensative and will drop dead randomly. (we've lost more ottos than all other fish put together :/ )

I'd stick with Bnoses or Rubbernoses - a god safe bet in the fight against algea :)

Yep, I agree with Smithrc...I have both Bristlenoses, and Rubbernoses and they do a wonderful job with algae! And they are cute too. :p

the secret with otos is to try to get ones that have been in the shop for a long time and then to make certain that they've got enough to eat in your tank. if you really want to mix plecs and otos, i'd get the otos first so that they have enough time to adjust to your aquarium and figure out about food sources.

All Plecos are nice to watch(except the ones that hide most of the time). I like my BN Pleco when it works it's way round the glass opening and shutting it's mouth. It looks like a puppet! I never have to clean my glass, the BN and the Golden Apple Snail keep it clean. :)

pica_nuttalli said:
the secret with otos is to try to get ones that have been in the shop for a long time and then to make certain that they've got enough to eat in your tank. if you really want to mix plecs and otos, i'd get the otos first so that they have enough time to adjust to your aquarium and figure out about food sources.
I had the LFS keep some for 4 weeks for me - they died over the course of 4 months - well established tank with plenty of food and nigh on perfect water - I'm not the only one on here either :dunno:

Most reactions

trending

Back