How low is too low?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mrsjoannh13

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon quarantine tank set up right now for a new betta. Originally I was going to just have silk plants in the tank but I have added a couple of live plants and plan to add a couple more in the coming days. He'll be in the QT tank for 4-6 weeks so I want to make it as nice a temporary home as possible. The tank is a Marina brand - it's the Marina Glo tank that I originally got for my daughter's glo tetras. It has a lid with a built in light - one setting is blue light only (for the glow effect) and a second setting is a combo of blue and white lights.

I currently have a brazilian pennywort and red root floaters both floating in the tank as the little betta likes to rest in plants up top. I am planning to add some anubias nana and maybe a java fern.

I know these are all good low light plants (maybe not the red root floaters but it's what I had on hand at the time), but I'm wondering if the built in light on the tank's lid will be sufficient to keep the plants alive. I don't want to deal with dead, decaying plant matter in this tank. I plan to fertilize with Easy Green.

Any thoughts on whether or not the light will be sufficient? I'm not concerned so much about plant growth. I just want them to survive the 4-6 weeks of quarantine (and the fish, too, of course - lol). I don't really have the option to add a nano tank light without making a custom lid so the light can shine through. So hoping to avoid that extra work if possible.

Thanks!

I think that pretty much any type of lighting works well for growing plants. I believe where the problem comes into for growing aquarium plants is that some species need CO2 injection.

Light needs to penetrate water depth and cover a sufficient area of the bottom of the tank for plants. Judge for yourself on how bright the light is in the 10-gallon glo tank and the coverage area, if it looks good then you shouldn't have a problem.

On a side note, some plants are grown at the nurseries out of the water. So when a person places these plants in their aquarium, the plants will shed their leaves grown out of the water and grow new leaves needed for underwater.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back