How Long Will Plants Last In The Post?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hanny93

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi,

I ordered 40 plants online and i came home today to find a note saying the package was too big, and that it is waiting at my local delivery office.
However, as I only just got home and the not so local delivery office closes at 6, will the plants be okay until tomorrow night, or will i have to magic up some kind of super fast transport to get there before it shuts?

Thanks in advance

I've ordered plants in the post a few times and mine seemed fine even after a few delays, however your supplier may not have sent them in the same way as mine, with me the plants were sealed in bags with pure oxygen and sprayed over them to keep em going. It also depends on the plants you purchased (list please!)some plants are rather fragile, especially if they have leaves that could easily come off when not in water.

It was just a regular bumper pack from ebay, and i doubt its been sprayed and packed in pure oxygen!

I've got a lift there tonight anyway, I'll just expect some dead ones, thankyou for the quick reply though!
I'll probably be asking for plant id in a couple of hours anyway!

Sealed in moist plastic sandwich bags (or something similar) is fine. Nothing fancy. Plants have been known to stay in good condition even at 2weeks. Most plants today are grown emersed at the plant nurseries therefore they are quite tough.

with me the plants were sealed in bags with pure oxygen and sprayed over them to keep em going.

Whhatt? Oxygen? How strange. Are they going on the principle that the plants will be in the dark therefore will respire rather than photosynthesise? I've never heard of oxygen being used for plants, maybe fish, but not plants.

They came in one large bag, slightly moist inside, and stamped shut.

They were all in really good condition, with HUGE root systems and good colour to them, aside from five cuttings of what i think was red temple, which were pretty much mush when i took them out of the bag. The leaves were brown and in places transparent, and very limp and floppy. If i squeezed one leaf it oozed rather than crunched as normal leaves do. So I decided against putting them in along with the others. I'm glad i didn't get 75 as I was originally going to get!

If I post some pictures of the plants would you be able to id some of them? I know I have broad leafed swords but there are some i cant find on the internet so it would be helpful if anyone could identify at least if any are non aquatic!

Thankyou

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back