How long until birth

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

What else is in the tank with her?
Also when shes ready to drop the fry,She will try & hide from the others & start rapid breathing, This is when she needs to go into the box.
Ive had tons of fry over the years & have found that the fry numbers increase after each pregnancy & if you have any plants or covered areas the fry will hide. This worried me at first, But they will find food & hide very well plus they are faster than the adults.
If you dont catch her in time dont worry, There will be more chances next month
She will Thank You for leaving her in the tank honestly
She’s currently in a separate tank with one other guppy, I moved her there a few weeks ago when I definitely knew she was pregnant but I wasn’t sure how long it would be until birth and I would like to keep some babies so this is why I did this also. She started to breathe fast and hide away in the corners of the tank, rarely coming out for food for roughly a week or so now. I thought that she began doing this weeks ago but know I really know what people are on about.

i dont think u should put in breeder, they are more free and dont get stressed when you dont put them in it. wait for her to pop and scoop the BABIES in the breeder not the mom
Can they not get through the slits though?

Can they not get through the slits though?
yes it does work sometimes but sometimes the babies swim through the slits and well, food for mommy! also the mom gets stressed. one time i put my guppy in there and se got stressed and pooped all of her intestines out and aborted the babies, so never againn will i put her in the box. the box is now for snail so the guppies dont eat his food. also my guppies never eat their fry, maybe different for you

yes it does work sometimes but sometimes the babies swim through the slits and well, food for mommy! also the mom gets stressed. one time i put my guppy in there and se got stressed and pooped all of her intestines out and aborted the babies, so never againn will i put her in the box. the box is now for snail so the guppies dont eat his food. also my guppies never eat their fry, maybe different for you
Sorry to hear this!!

Sorry to hear this!!
its fine shes the dominant now and nobody wil mess with her, and she is nice to her children! never takes a bite. thats just my past experience, so dont repeat the history. get some sort of netty plants like hornwort so the babeis can hide

its fine shes the dominant now and nobody wil mess with her, and she is nice to her children! never takes a bite. thats just my past experience, so dont repeat the history. get some sort of netty plants like hornwort so the babeis can hide
Does it matter where the plants are in the tank

Buy them £5 packs off ebay just to throw in the corner for hiding places. If there are only 2 Guppys in the tank they wont be able to catch all the fry, they are very good at hiding & will feed on anything.
Some of mine hid in the heater bracket for a week, i knew they were there but didnt disturb them.
Also i had some Aqua One breeding pipes, they all hid in there until 1 male got in & tried his luck, They hide anywhere & most of the time you dont know they are there

Just leave her, She will have them at some point & 1 day you will just see them swimming around, Then i catch them & use my Hidom breeder cos the Pets at Home thing is useless, they can swim out & the females can suck them out of the slits too

Just leave her, She will have them at some point & 1 day you will just see them swimming around, Then i catch them & use my Hidom breeder cos the Pets at Home thing is useless, they can swim out & the females can suck them out of the slits too
I have at pets at home breeder ?‍♀️

This is going to sound stupid but i put some waterproof tape around the bottom end slits on mine(not covering all the slits,cos water needs to circulate)until they were 2 weeks old, then they were big enough to not swim out of the P.A.H breeder

After about 4 weeks (Size dependant) they can go in with the parents, It seems a bit worrying at first but the adults cant fit them in there mouths

Here is a pic of the escaped newborn fry in main tank, The bigger fry was chasing them too

Attachments

• 20210110_111224.jpg
    20210110_111224.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210110_111750.jpg
    20210110_111750.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 29
These are the newborns after a few hours in the Hidom breeder, This is when they swam out of the P.A.H breeder & a few were eaten, So i recaptured them & put them in this

Attachments

• 20210110_183255.jpg
    20210110_183255.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210110_162255.jpg
    20210110_162255.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 25

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back