How long to wait before adding more Ember Tetra

ogelthorpe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

Added my 7 ember tetra to my 9G Fluval Flex a few days ago. As per suggestions on this site, going to build up the school to 12. I used an already cycled filter from another tank on this new one so how long should I wait before adding another 5 embers? No signs of ammonia, nitrites or nitrates so all good there.

Do you have live plants in this tank? I checked the other thread and while I suggested them, I don't know if you have them/any. That makes a difference.

Do you have live plants in this tank? I checked the other thread and while I suggested them, I don't know if you have them/any. That makes a difference.
No live plants at this time. Fake plants, driftwood and stone on black sand substrate

Presumably the tank was cycled before the other fish went in. If yes, then another 5 Embers should not cause issues, and its already been "a few days." The existing bacteria require 32 hours to reproduce (both ammonia and nitrite oxidizing) which they do by binary division once ammonia and then nitrite are present beyond the levels that the existing bacteria can handle.

Live plants that are fast growing...and you need some floating plants here to calm both these fish species...solve all this because they take up ammonia, and a lot of it if it is available, and "cycling" is a non-issue.

Correct. Tank was cycled prior to the first 7 embers going in. Thanks again for the tips!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back