How long to treat after ick

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Briggan

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I’m planning on moving some of my goodies and turning the 20g into a betta tank.
One of the goldfish had ick and was being treated but died either from ick or something stemming from that.
Once the goldies are out, should I keep treating the tank for ick, and if so, how long?
Thanks!

Ich has a life cycle which generally plays out in a week, depending upon temperature. The cooler the water, the longer it takes. Heating the water to 86F (30C) or warmer will kill the ich outright. But even at "normal" tropical fish aquarium temperatures (in the 70's F/21-26C) the ich must find a host fish within 24 hours or die. So in a tank with no fish, at normal tropical temperatures, the ich will be dead in a week. Give it two weeks.

There is really no benefit in using any ich preparation because these can get absorbed into porous items and cause trouble down the road. Salt is about the safest additive, again for a week; it is then removed over time via water changes. I personally would not bother with salt.

Actually, I do have the water heated up to the low 80s at the moment, so I’ll just leave it for a week or two then?

Water needs to 86F. Give it a week and you should be fine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back