How long to run a UV steriliser?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

howard_hopkinson

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
I have one in my external canister I run 24/7. I could turn it off and Iā€™m not sure how effective they really are since water would have to be exposed to it for a while to truly wipe out most things but... I have it so I figure why not keep it on. I know with certain medications you have to turn the uv off.

The only time I've ever heard of their use is in ponds and they run them full time. What are they for ? Pathogens ?

They are for clearing cloudy water, helping to get rid of algae and also killing some parasites thereby helping to prevent some diseases. My main reason for wanting one is to help with algae and to improve water clarity.

They really aren't much benefit in tropical tanks. I run mine in the pond 24/7 during the summer months because I have no control over light and it controls the unicellular algae. In winter its off, bulb is only effective for about 6 months anyway.

I do have one exactly like the link posted. I bought it in an I want everthing perfect phase but TBH I could not see any difference or benefit. Now its in a box of stuff I never use.

I have one in my external canister I run 24/7. I could turn it off and Iā€™m not sure how effective they really are since water would have to be exposed to it for a while to truly wipe out most things but... I have it so I figure why not keep it on. I know with certain medications you have to turn the uv off.

I saw a YouTube where a fellow reported that the UV light in his Sunsun filter caused the top two trays to deform (apparently the plastic used was not UV stabilized.

From what I can gather, this seems to be a common issue with the SunSun canister filters with built in UV sterilisers. It appears that the plastic being used for the trays is not UV stable and therefore the UV breaks it down.

Fortunately for me, the UVS I have ordered is not a SunSun and is a fully self contained unit with its own powerhead.

I've now had the UVS running for the past 4 days and my water is now crystal clear. I can look through the length of my tank and clearly see my guitars on the far wall of the room. However, I've also noticed another possible benefit.
I had several fish that would flash on plants and decor intermittently and over the past few days this flashing behaviour has completely stopped. I haven't done anything different to the tank except the introduction of the UVS.

I saw a YouTube where a fellow reported that the UV light in his Sunsun filter caused the top two trays to deform (apparently the plastic used was not UV stabilized.
I have a sunsun hw304b - zero warping on any of the trays, was previously used for a year before I got it for free with my big fish tank. UV light has been running 24/7 without any damage over a year between the time Iā€™ve had it and with its previous owner. Perhaps that video is a defective model? Or defective unit? I donā€™t know but either way no issues here. :)

I have a sunsun hw304b - zero warping on any of the trays, was previously used for a year before I got it for free with my big fish tank. UV light has been running 24/7 without any damage over a year between the time Iā€™ve had it and with its previous owner. Perhaps that video is a defective model? Or defective unit? I donā€™t know but either way no issues here. :)
Good to know! I think it's possible that at some point they were using a plastic that did not have a UV stabilizer in it and as we know, Ultra violet light does a number on plastic that isn't protected.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back