How Long To Cycle With Added Bacteria

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

squidsagirl420

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was just curious as to how long it might take to cycle a tank if you added filter media from an established tank. as well as ornaments, rocks and other things. or is there any way to know? just test? lol Thanks!

The answer is to add 3 ppm ammonia, wait 24 hours and test.  If you get back double zeros (ammonia and nitrite), then you are cycled.

If not, then you have to wait until you do get double zeros 24 hours after adding a 'full' 3 ppm dose of ammonia.   

Generally, the time is cut dramatically down, if it isn't ready to go the next day.  Back in the old days, fishkeepers setting up new tanks would 'clone' their filters just like this, and use the filter media, bits of gravel, decor, etc. from established tanks to establish new tanks and they'd bash the fish right into the new tank.  (That was back when the fish-in cycle method was the only one used - though this sort of thing does still happen today.)  In those cases, the tanks could be up and running in a matter of hours and honestly, for an experienced keeper who knows how to handle ammonia and nitrite spikes, is still very much in vogue.  

BUT, for those with less experience, there's really no difference between what you are doing and a standard fishless cycle.  Its far less harrowing on the nerves for those uncertain about how to deal with ammonia, AND it is also far more certain to be successful.  It takes less time than a traditional 'from scratch' fishless cycle.  The more media you've moved, the faster it will go.

I seeded the hob filter  my 29 gallon tank with filter media from a hob filter from  my 35 gallon hex tank.   I added the 3ppm ammonia and followed the fishless cycle desribed on this site testing everyday with an api test kit.   It took 7 days to complete the cycling .  I fully stocked the tank with fish on the next day.

Usually it could take a month or so to properly cycle a tank without using established media from another tank. 

awesome thanks. also, what about adding some of the other tanks water.?

No point in adding water. There's virtually no bacteria in it, the bacteria will be in the filter, the substrate, on any decorations (plants included) and perhaps on the walls of the tank itself.

squidsagirl420 said:
awesome thanks. also, what about adding some of the other tanks water.?

One option you can use to add even extra bacteria, etc. to the new tank though is to actually swish around old filter media (that you DON'T plan to move to the new tank) in the new tank before you do anything else.

If you are going to plant, the mulm in the old filter will have some amazing stuff in it that just can't be duplicated any other way.  If you plan to plant the new tank, a good layer of mulm under the substrate is a great source of nutrients, bacteria and the like also.  This just adds 'all the goodness' of the old tank a little faster.  ;)

some say its really quick cycling a tank with established media, like a few days? You just need to provide the right conditions for the established bacteria to reproduce itself to the correct amount.

It depends on how much starter media you have, and whether the donor tank is fully stocked or not.

Let's say you have a well established tank, but it's fairly sparsely populated. The bacteria colonies will adjust their size to process whatever food (ammonia and nitrites) are available. Taking a small amount of media from a tank like this will yield a smaller starter colony than the same size tank that's fully stocked.

But it's definitely quicker than starting with nothing.

How would you prep media for a new tank? put some bio-media in a filter bag and tie it next to filter intake area?

You would still need to check established tank's parameters after you take out the temp media right?

Add media from an established filter to the new filter. That's the easiest way.

Yes i added media from an filter in my established tank. (6 tiger barbs, 5 platys and 2 snails) and put it down in the filter with the new media. it wouldn't fit in front which i assume is best, but its in there.
. I also took out several medium size rocks i had in it, as well as a large and small ornament from it. I need to check it the water, but will wait till tomorrow. i heard it would help. but was curious as to how much. like.. is it a miracle trick? lol
Thanks
(oh and the media i took was the old foam from my aquaclear filter) very mulmy and gross lol

No miracle, just an easy way to cycle. You are literally moving the bacteria from the old tank into the new one.

It will most definitely help, and the amount it helps depends on how much bacteria you actually moved. The more you moved the more it will help. Like I said, in the old days (and even today) this is how most folks with multiple tanks set up a new one. That's part of the curse of MTS (multiple tank syndrome), once you have one or more tanks, getting another one up and running is ridiculously easy.

So i thought that i would post, i did a test today and im shocked. it looks like 0 ammonia, 0nitrites and i cant really read the nitrates? what do you think? and nitrates are a pretty orange. how much nitrates are good/bad? lol
does this mean its cycled?!? and i should retest for several days to make sure nothing changes to confirm? correct? Ive just never gotten 0s this quick.!!! neat! (the yellow looks darker in pic. i looked at it forever and it had no green to the color. ill test again tomorrow.

IMAG5179_zpsrepelvr7.jpg

IMAG5182_zps1smbnlxu.jpg

sorry if the pics are huge.

squidsagirl420 said:
So i thought that i would post, i did a test today and im shocked. it looks like 0 ammonia, 0nitrites and i cant really read the nitrates? what do you think? and nitrates are a pretty orange. how much nitrates are good/bad? lol
does this mean its cycled?!? and i should retest for several days to make sure nothing changes to confirm? correct? Ive just never gotten 0s this quick.!!! neat! (the yellow looks darker in pic. i looked at it forever and it had no green to the color. ill test again tomorrow.

IMAG5179_zpsrepelvr7.jpg

IMAG5182_zps1smbnlxu.jpg

sorry if the pics are huge.
I believe you are done, assuming you did Fishless with old established media

In theory you were suppose to dose ammonia around 2 to 4 ppm OR somehow feed the bacteria, 24hrs later, if Ammonia is 0 and your Nitrites are 0, then you are done. You will have Nitrates because that is the 'after product' of the Nitrites being processed.

Now do a water change, some say 70% some say 90% to get rid of your Nitrates from your tank, then add fish.
The fish's waste and uneaten food will produce ammonia, the bacteria will process it.

Most reactions

trending

Back