How long should I leave on the air pump?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

VioletThePurple

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I don't want it on 24/7 as it creates quite a lot of noise. I wrapped a towel around it to make it quieter, but the noise is noticeable. Every few minutes it turns itself off for a few seconds before coming back on.

Have you got a power filter in/ on the tank?
If yes, then you can turn the pump off whenever you like. The power filter should keep the water clean and if the outlet is above the surface of the water, should also provide aeration.

Air pumps should not turn themselves off. If your pump goes off by itself, it is faulty and should be returned.

Be careful putting towels over air pumps because the pumps can get hot and melt or set fire to the towel. You can rest pumps on a towel that is folded up a few times, but try not to completely wrap the pump in anything.

If it is the primary filtration in the tank, it has to be on 24/7. If it is simply driving airstones to create bubblewalls or similar, it could be turned off for night or whenever but if this is essential to the gas exchange, leaving it off can cause an imbalance and harm fish.

Have you got a power filter in/ on the tank?
If yes, then you can turn the pump off whenever you like. The power filter should keep the water clean and if the outlet is above the surface of the water, should also provide aeration.

Air pumps should not turn themselves off. If your pump goes off by itself, it is faulty and should be returned.

Be careful putting towels over air pumps because the pumps can get hot and melt or set fire to the towel. You can rest pumps on a towel that is folded up a few times but try not to completely wrap the pump in anything.
I do have a power filter; I got the air pump for surface agitation. It definitely turned itself off. It's brand new, sucks to hear it's probably faulty.

Try taking off the towel and see if it still turns off by itself. Maybe it has a safety switch that turns it off if it gets hot which the towel could be causing.

Some of the pumps have an output control. If you have one of those adjust the airflow to acceptable levels.
I totally agree that the stop/start is due to it getting too hot.

Agree. Never rap a towel around an air pump because the pump is pulling fresh air from the room, and this stifles it. It is possible to burn the pump out.

does it still turn off if you remove the towel??

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back