How Long Should A Co2 Mix Last

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
That's great info, PtarmiganUK, thanks a lot. I think i've been overdoing the yeast TBH. I'm going to search out some high tolerance yeasts...

I see Jimbooo has beaten me to my next question....

i do like this remote research stuff, works a treat... thanks mate although that link gives me a general script error what ever that means?? i'll cut back the address and see if i can find it.

thanks again

Jimbooo, probably because the link i posted was to a page on the secure side of their server. Doh.

Sorry, haven't figured out the quote thing yet, but on the too much yeast issue: is there an optimal ratio or does it differ tank to tank? I'm definitely adding too much yeast thinking it would give me higher CO2 levels! Doh, again.
So, is increasing CO2 levels a matter of adding more (or Bigger) nutrafin units (or diy gear of your choice).
My co2 seems to have topped out at 21ppm.

The variables seem to be:

Better quality yeast?
Better quality sugar - unrefined cane sugar, for example, does this matter?
Bicarb levels?

This is less of a post and more of me thinking out loud, methinks!

any links??
www.yell.com shows two shops in Hertfordshire

Laxtons of Broxbourne
45, High Rd , Broxbourne , EN10 7HX
Tel : 01992 462293
http://sitebuilder.yell.com/sb/show.do?id=SB0001559179000010

and
Freeman Grieve Ltd
111, St. Peters St , St. Albans , Hertfordshire AL1 3ET
Tel: 01727 853735

doh, sorry i really haven't looked hard then have i. i'll take a walk to laxtons tomorrow should take all of 2 minutes, thanks a bundle.

andy: firstly the quote thing. copy the bit you want to quote. open reply, click the quote bubble, paste your info, click the quote bubble again. hey presto a quoted comment

as to the yeast your over complicating things. just add sugar to the first "fins", 1/2 tsp yeast, 1tsp bicarb and luke warm water. put lid on and within 2 hours the bubbles should start. that mix will definatly last a week even with crappy yeast. give it another go with those measurements and see how you get on.

Andy you are basically adding way to much yeast.......im surprised the nutrafin unit hasnt blown up!

One of those satchets keeps both my units going for 3-4 weeks and i change both weekly...........add 1/2 to 1/3 of a teaspoon of the yeast (not level a little bit heaped) and blend into the mix as i described to you before..........this will easily give you enough co2 to last a week and then it will slow down......but before it does change it again, im changeing mine every 8 days approx. The bread yeast you have is fine just dont add so much.

And another thing forget about the bicarb, just add the yeast and the sugar, if you are buffering the tank water itself thats fine, thats all i do, i havent used bicard in my mixes for months, it also stops the white whispy stuff that comes out the end of the co2 tube, basically you dont need it, just add the sugar to the level marked on the unit and then add the preblended yeast and top up with luke warm water and then stir the contents together, close unit, half an hour later enough co2 bubbles to do you for a week............

Sorry jimbooo i dont mean to be contradicting what you are saying, you were post as i was replying, i basically dont find any need to add the bicarb, but i agree with you dont over complicate it........

Ah there you are, zig! 3-4 weeks out of 1 sachet? Everybody, I feel i should add at this point that zig told me how to do the mix properly but i decided to improvise...newbie overcomplicating things again!
I'll be redoing mixes later, i fear.
How come i don't have sky high CO2 levels given that my Nutrafin should be a rocket by now?

Sorry jimbooo i dont mean to be contradicting what you are saying, you were post as i was replying, i basically dont find any need to add the bicarb, but i agree with you dont over complicate it........

:sly: :crazy: only joking mate - i did find without the bicarb the bubbles were rather random. one day it was blowing out a bubble every second, the next day every 3 secs, next day back to every second. i assume the bicarb stabalises the reaction. either way with or without bicarb 1/2 a tsp yeast will do the trick.

Ah there you are, zig! 3-4 weeks out of 1 sachet? Everybody, I feel i should add at this point that zig told me how to do the mix properly but i decided to improvise...newbie overcomplicating things again!
I'll be redoing mixes later, i fear.
How come i don't have sky high CO2 levels given that my Nutrafin should be a rocket by now?

because it blasted all the co2 out in one go. didn't have time to dissolve into the water and fertalised your house plants.

your ladder must have looked rather busy for the 2 days. just so you know my ladders have 1 or 2 bubbles on each rung, occasionally more but only if a damn snail has taken up residence in there (which often happens)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back