how long does it tak for a bala

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
FKSM,

Not sure of life cycle but as for the number in a 55g maybe this will help:

Balantiocheilos melanopterus (Bleeker, 1851)

Temperment - Peaceful
Sociability - Groups
Min. Tank - 70 gallons
Availability - Common
Area - Middle

A large and very active fish that needs a roomy tank, the Bala (or Silver) Shark should be kept in groups with its own kind andor other large, quick-swimming fish such as Tinfoil Barbs or Silver Dollars. If not kept in these conditions the fish will become frightened very easily and over-stressed. They grow to a foot or more in length, and at this size even a 65 gallon tank won't be enough to keep a small group together. Use a planted tank, as well as a tight-fitting canopy to ensure the fish cannot escape as they are excellent jumpers. They will accept most foods.

HTH..... :D

It takes many years for a bala to reach full size. They live about 10 years, if you keep them in pristine condition. They do reach sexual maturity at about 6". If you want to have more than one (which you should, to keep them happy) you should have larger than a 55 gallon tank.

I plan on having a 100 gallon real soon like in a couple of months or so I was thinking of mabey 6 of them, and they are one more thing I have 2 of them. one of them is mabey a inch longer than the other one and it is getting very mean to the tiny one is that normal I have never heard of them getting mean like that before but this one sure is :devil:

That is the thing about keeping them in pairs. One becomes more dominant than the other. Try to keep them in larger groups like 4 or more. For a 100 gallon, I might say 6 of them is too many.

I've got 2 Bala's in my 55G Tank.
But they are pretty small, there about 2 inches.

Fishes grow all they life. If the fish hasn't enough space to grow, it doesn't grow well and stays stunted. Fish need enough space, good food including vitamines and caring which means, changing water weekly enough and keeping water values fine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back