What's new

How long does API general cure stay good for

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

Callisto405

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought a box of API General Cure today and noticed to expire date is 11/2023. I would have thought it would last longer than 2 years if unopened. Is it a ploy by the retailer to get you to buy it more often or does it actually degrade that quick. What do you think? I like to stock up on stuff

I think that the expiration date is the amount of time that it takes the meds to start becoming inactive at the very first point it might start deteriorating. Theoretically, the meds might and likely are still good after the expiration date but I don't recommend using them, just in case. But that's just my two cents, I'm not sure what others might say. Best regards, Nele.

Nele is right.
Usually, the medication will degrade or become less effective after the expiry date.
Probably it's still ok after if it has expired for 3-6months.
But if it has expired for more than 1 year, probably its not effective any more.

For some medications, it can become toxic after it expires.

Last edited:
Medications and food last longer in a dark, cool, dry environment. If they are kept in a warm area, or in a humid area, or they are in a brightly lit room or exposed to sunlight, they break down very quickly.

Always use anti-biotics before they expire.

If you have unwanted or expired medications, take them to a chemist/ pharmacy and ask them to dispose of the products. They have companies that take expired and unwanted drugs and dispose of them safely.

------------------
You should not be stock piling anti-biotics.
API General Cure contains Praziquantel (tapeworm treatment) and an anti-biotic called Metronidazole, and that should only be used for known bacterial infections that have not responded to normal medications.

Improper use and mis-use of anti-biotics has lead to drug resistant bacteria that kill people, birds, reptiles, animals and fish.

I'll keep a couple boxes on hand for when I need them. Thankfully I haven't ran into anything to bad yet that water changes, melafix or salt couldn't fix. But you never know. Good to have this stuff on hand

Bottles of liquids also go off after being opened - they should be replaced 12 months after opening regardless of the use by date. This is because when it is opened, oxygen in the air gets into the bottle and the chemicals are slowly oxidised.

You can keep bottles of medications and test kits in the fridge to help them last longer. Keep them in a plastic container with a lid and keep them away from the back of the fridge if you have an auto defrost refrigerator.

*NB* Make sure children and animals can't get to them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back