How Long Do Heaters Last?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Qays

Fish Herder
Reaction score
How long do heaters last?

My lfs sells one with a 5 year garrantee, and they said most others only last a year, and thats why the 5 year garrantee'd ones are better.

How long have you found heaters to last? and which company is it?

Well funny enough my current heater is the one that came as standard with my Juwel tank (which I think is a tronic heater) and I've had it for almost 4 years.
Prior to that I've always moved house(country) and had to rehome fish & tanks, so never really had any setups longer than that.

But Visitherm is my favourite in functionality and also come with a very good warrantee (unless of course you break it carelessly) :good:

How long do heaters last?

My lfs sells one with a 5 year garrantee, and they said most others only last a year, and thats why the 5 month garrantee'd ones are better.

How long have you found heaters to last? and which company is it?

5 month-guaranteed heaters are better that 5 year-guaranteed heaters????
doesn't make sense to me.
:S

i,ve had one of my fish tanks for about 2 yaers now and the heater hasnt gone yet but tht came in a starter kit,

ive not much idea about other heaters :no:

Biggest two reasons for heater failure are: getting too small a heater for the tank, or else dropping something onto it and shattering the glass.

If the heater is on too much of the time, it can jam, and then it overheats, and then it cracks. One approach taken by the professionals is to use two, slightly underpowered heaters. These work in tandem, with neither on too much of the time, and so helping each heater last for much longer. When both are on, they warm the tank up easily, but if one fails in the on position, it isn't big enough to overheat the tank. If it tails in the off position, the remaining heater will keep the tank from getting too cold, so keeping the fish alive, if not actually happy, until the aquarist notices the problem.

As for breaking heaters, always make sure the heater is well away from rocks, bogwood, etc. If you are keeping big fish, consider getting a heater guard, or better yet, a filter with a built-in heater (as is the case with Jewel tanks).

Heaters are one place not to economise. If they fail, it's a disaster, and they can fail explosively, sending shards of glass into the tank, which are very difficult to see underwater.

Used properly, good heaters last for years and years. Five years doesn't surprise me in the least. The Jewel ones seem very good, and I certainly know of a couple of people with such systems that are seven or eight years old.

Cheers,

Neale

Thanks Neale.

Would a heater behind the filter be a good idea? (where the intake is)

Having trouble visualising this. Do you mean some sort of internal filter?

Basically, you never want a heater anywhere without lots of water movement. The ideal place is in front of the output from the filter. That way, warm water is carried around the aquarium. Alternatively, the heater should be placed at least diagonally, and preferably horizontally, along the back. This way, a convection current is set up that helps distribute the warm water.

The worst place is to have a heater sitting vertically, or else having the heater stuck in a corner without much water movement. In either situation, there isn't much water flow, either as a convection current or a current from the filter pump.

Cheers,

Neale

Would a heater behind the filter be a good idea? (where the intake is)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back