How long do corycats spawn?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Beckett

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Howdy,

I have 7 bronze cory cats and likely at least two females, definitely 3 are males. They have been spawning and laying eggs on and off since July 13. I was just curious how long they usually spawn for? I keep finding news eggs in the tank about every other day. Up to 46 collected in a net breeder now.

Thanks!

if conditions are favorable for them, probably all the time.

It is likely you are seeing different matings. The males initiate spawning by staying with a female (one , two, three, four males depending with one female) while she goes around cleaning suitable egg depository sites. When she finally decides to mate with one of the males, the eggs are fertilized. The female then goes around depositing an egg on some suitable cleaned site. I do not think this normally goes past a day, but another female/male may spawn other days obviously, so that may be what you are seeing occur.

Interesting! I've been doing tons of reading up on this subject and it's fascinating.

NCAquatics I just saw your other thread with all the spawning in your tanks, WOW!!!

I think my corys caught the love bug like yours haha, they were going crazy this morning laying eggs in the tank and I actually got to see the female lay eggs twice which was cool.

Interesting! I've been doing tons of reading up on this subject and it's fascinating.

NCAquatics I just saw your other thread with all the spawning in your tanks, WOW!!!

I think my corys caught the love bug like yours haha, they were going crazy this morning laying eggs in the tank and I actually got to see the female lay eggs twice which was cool.
If you are in the north east USA (I am in Ontario Canada), you may be having some storms and rain move through. Sometimes this triggers spawning too with cories

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back