How Long Do Canister Filters Last?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

EliteFishy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
How long do How long do Eheim ecco External Canister Filter 2232 last?

If you're talking about the filter itself..it'll last a longgg time. Don't worry about it, unless you bought an ancient Eheim secondhandedly

I've had a 2232 for 1 1/2 years so far. Had to replace the fine pad once due to clogging, even after it was rinsed. The rest of the media is still going strong.

Tolak

ive heard of eheims going on 30 years where the owner just changes the media to keep up with the updates...my personal one that i bought second hand says: Made in W. Germany (!)

I have a Magnum 350 that's been in service for, I guess, about 15 years -

I just rinse out the sleeves till they need to be replaced -
and I buy new nylon media bags when they deteriorate -

The 350's motor is strong enough to draw water through a ugf via holes
I had drilled in the bottom of the tank (55 gal) -

And on the return hose the water goes thru a Hydor heater to spill back into
the tank over the side -

I set this tank up just before wet/dry filters became popular -
so how long has that been?

On a side note - I just finished tearing the tank down to repair a damaged
'O' ring in a valve between the tank and filter - (the original 'O' ring probably
would have lasted forever until my son decided to mess with it) -

Anyway, since I had to drain the tank down anyway, I decided to wash the stone
bed and lift the ugf plates for inspection underneath -

Contrary to the majority of complaints I've seen on forums about ugf's getting nasty
and clogged underneath, I found this one not too bad and very acceptable -
Remember, the stuff I did find under there contained beneficial bacteria -

I can guess my success with the ugf is due to using a pump to draw water thru it
rather then air through lift tubes ( which like eveyone else, I did previously-
but I thought the tank got too agitated trying to get good flow)

The tank is back up & running, I'm now cycling it -
I hope to get another 15 out of this set-up -

When I had the bottom drilled. I also had a hole drilled to supply air to the water,
so it's a very clean looking set-up -
no hoses, heater wires, or even a filter exposed -

Sorry for the long response (we all like to talk about our tanks) -
I hope gives you an idea how long a canister filter can last -

I've got a HOT (Hang On Tank) Magnum canister filter that came with a 38-gallon setup my wife purchased a few years ago. Reliable, and it's on a timer for a 1/2-hour shutdown twice daily so that the autofeeder can do its thing. The water polishing pleated filter does a great job, and there's room for media bags if you don't use the bonded filter sleeve (prefilter). Hasn't given me any problems, ever. The pleated filters are easy to clean, though I've got two for this setup to enable quick swaps.

The Magnum 350 may not be the most elegant-looking design out there, but I've got two of them, and am quite happy with their reliability and low operating noise. Both are on a timer as well for autofeeding.

I've got one Magnum 350 pulling strong through all 4 UGF plates on my 100-gallon tank (that's mine, not the missus') through a manifold I rigged to link all 4 plates, all of this submerged under a few inches of small-medium gravel, and it feeds to an outlet and a large biowheel. I considered drilling, but it's an old used tank, and I didn't know if the bottom was tempered or not. 4 holes linked to an under-tank manifold would have been ideal. This particular Magnum 350 came with that old tank, and I think it had about 10 years of service before I purchased it. After replacing a worn impeller magnet assembly, I was off to the races. By the way, that magnet got chewed up because the previous owner had allowed gravel to get into the sump housing (how he did that I do not know, unless the filter was not in place). Otherwise, it's a great, relatively inexpensive setup.

The second Magnum 350 takes care of water polishing, only (along with any media bags I toss into the housing outside of the pleated filter and its prefilter sleeve...the housing is roomy). It pulls through a sponge originally built for a reverse flow kit as a prefilter. Almost done rigging the Hydor 300-watt inline heater (haven't needed it yet) and a Fluval surface skimmer. I was going to connect it to the same UGF manifold, but that other Magnum 350 is doing a fine job all by itself. I've only run this newer one for a couple months, now, but if it's anything like it's older brother, it should last for the next decade.

The Magnum 350 has only one moving part: the impeller. Like the HOT Magnum, I've got a spare pleated filter for each to enable quick filter changes.

Petsolutions has a sale on them, the basic filter going for $74.99 U.S. That's one of the best prices I've seen. The Deluxe setup, with cutoff valves, goes for $79.99, and the Pro, w/ valving and biowheels, is just $5 more.

In short, to answer your question, a quality canister, with proper periodic maintenance to the filter elements/media, should last as long as a well-built car. B)

v/r, N-A

I've got a HOT (Hang On Tank) Magnum canister filter that came with a 38-gallon setup my wife purchased a few years ago. Reliable, and it's on a timer for a 1/2-hour shutdown twice daily so that the autofeeder can do its thing. The water polishing pleated filter does a great job, and there's room for media bags if you don't use the bonded filter sleeve (prefilter). Hasn't given me any problems, ever. The pleated filters are easy to clean, though I've got two for this setup to enable quick swaps.

The Magnum 350 may not be the most elegant-looking design out there, but I've got two of them, and am quite happy with their reliability and low operating noise. Both are on a timer as well for autofeeding.

I've got one Magnum 350 pulling strong through all 4 UGF plates on my 100-gallon tank (that's mine, not the missus') through a manifold I rigged to link all 4 plates, all of this submerged under a few inches of small-medium gravel, and it feeds to an outlet and a large biowheel. I considered drilling, but it's an old used tank, and I didn't know if the bottom was tempered or not. 4 holes linked to an under-tank manifold would have been ideal. This particular Magnum 350 came with that old tank, and I think it had about 10 years of service before I purchased it. After replacing a worn impeller magnet assembly, I was off to the races. By the way, that magnet got chewed up because the previous owner had allowed gravel to get into the sump housing (how he did that I do not know, unless the filter was not in place). Otherwise, it's a great, relatively inexpensive setup.

The second Magnum 350 takes care of water polishing, only (along with any media bags I toss into the housing outside of the pleated filter and its prefilter sleeve...the housing is roomy). It pulls through a sponge originally built for a reverse flow kit as a prefilter. Almost done rigging the Hydor 300-watt inline heater (haven't needed it yet) and a Fluval surface skimmer. I was going to connect it to the same UGF manifold, but that other Magnum 350 is doing a fine job all by itself. I've only run this newer one for a couple months, now, but if it's anything like it's older brother, it should last for the next decade.

The Magnum 350 has only one moving part: the impeller. Like the HOT Magnum, I've got a spare pleated filter for each to enable quick filter changes.

Petsolutions has a sale on them, the basic filter going for $74.99 U.S. That's one of the best prices I've seen. The Deluxe setup, with cutoff valves, goes for $79.99, and the Pro, w/ valving and biowheels, is just $5 more.

In short, to answer your question, a quality canister, with proper periodic maintenance to the filter elements/media, should last as long as a well-built car. B)

v/r, N-A

Hi Ronbar and welcome to the forum :)

This thread is from 2005 but I can answer your question. Most power filters should last for many years. I had a Fluval 303 (external power filter) for over 20 years and an Aquaclear HOB filter for over 15 years.

The main thing is to keep the motor and impellor assembly clean.

You should clean established power filters at least once a month and every 2 weeks is better. Do not clean a power filter that is cycling (developing the beneficial bacteria that keeps the ammonia and nitrite levels at 0). Wait at least 2 weeks after the filter has cycled before cleaning it.

You can get round/ cylindrical sponges form some brands of internal power filters. These sponges have a hole through the centre and they fit over the intake strainer of most external power filters. You can buy these round/ cylindrical sponges from most pet shops and they help to pre-filter the water and reduce the gunk getting into the impellor.

How long do How long do Eheim ecco External Canister Filter 2232 last?
i had a Pennplax canister filter that worked well for over a year. Pennplax was good enough to replace it under warranty. eventually it became nearly impossible to get it to start working. also the gaskets needed replacement every time it became hard to reassemble. that's just my own experience. i'm sure canisters work well for people. my own experience was it lasted slightly more than 2 years. however i was using it for a turtle tank. as we know turtles are quite messy and maybe the frequent water changes were too wearing on the particular canister - Pennplax 1000.

How often do you need to clean media in a decent size canister filter. I clean my sponges every two weeks on a HOB filter and replace filter floss at that time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back