How Long Before I See Some Results?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

BeezerGeezer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've just installed a CO2 system in my tank and I'm dosing at 5 bubbles per minute in a 100l tank. I ordered a monitor with the kit but when everything arrived it was missing so I currently have no way of checking the levels, so I'm keeping it low for the moment. How soon before I see some improvement in the plants?

I used 2 bps in a 48 litre so with good flow 4-5 bubbles should be safe and efficient. Kinda hard to notice immediate effects on plants just be consistent and watch for any gasping fish.

5 bubbles a minute? Ideally there should be one bubble every 1-2 seconds. At 5 bubbles a minute you are better off just dosing a carbon supplement for the plants like Flourish excel or something. The most important thing is being consistent with your CO2 output.

I'm guessing they put minute by accident as it wouldn't even make sense to dose that

The instructions in the kit recommend 10 bpm per 100l. As I've stated, until I source a drop checker I have no way of monitoring the levels. Knowing nothing about adding this process I decided to err on the safe side rather than suffocate my fish.
Prior to adding the CO2 I've been gradually adjusting my set up to optimize the conditions, reduced surface disturbance for example, but I have already noticed the fish hanging around the surface and the red eye tetras seem to be breathing quite rapidly. I have therefore turned the airpump on for the fishes benefit, but presumably this will be working against the Co2?
The root of the problem could be that the tank is quite heavily stocked. I'm awaiting delivery of a larger tank, but obviously that will need cycling before I can move the fishys across. From my inexperienced perspective it all seems to be balancing on a knifes edge. Would I be better sacrificing the plants I have and waiting till I get the new tank up and running?

5 bps won't make any difference to anything. It could induce some bba due to low C02. If you have no drop checker, you can start at 1bps, this is normally quite safe. Do monitor you fish though, if you see any gasping then turn the C02 off (you should n't at 1bps though).

what kit is it?

It's an AquaGro hobby set. Doesn't seem too bad, disposable cylinder and plastic parts, but the regulator seems ok. If I can get on with the the whole concept I will invest in some more serious kit at a later date. It's really just an experiment at the moment.
Could you recommend a drop checker kit? I'm looking at a Flo Cado one on the Tankscape website. I assume I need the 4dKH solution and the reagent?

Oh, and bba?

1 bubble every 6 seconds is a very low dose I dunno why the instructions suggest that. But if you think your fish are struggling at this dose I would leave CO2 well alone fish are more important than plants and anyway if your heavily stocked they will produce a decent amount of CO2 anyway

Fair comment Ross, I'm leaning that way already. It's just frustrating that the plants are doing so poorly.

Is there any point in having the airpump AND CO2 running simultaneously?

lets just roll back a little....the aquagrow set is the aerosol set isn't it??

if so, you can't really count the bubbles with those. They are a poor way of dissolving C02 into the water.

ps Fish don't give you enough C02.

Fair comment Ross, I'm leaning that way already. It's just frustrating that the plants are doing so poorly.

Is there any point in having the airpump AND CO2 running simultaneously?
To be honest I don't know whether it prevent CO2 from staying in the water but I bet it does. If I were you keep the CO2 off until you get your monitor, that way you know your fish are safe and your not wasting CO2 which can get expensive.How long have you had your plants?
Do you use fertiliser?
Have you tried liquid carbon?
What substrate do you have?

Ian, I don't think it's an aerosol kit. It has a disposable canister with a screw on regulator, bubble counter, non return valve and diffuser. It can be regulated quite accurately, as I have demonstrated......1 bubble every 12.4 seconds :rolleyes: , and it is repeating at that interval, including the .4.

Ross, the whole tank has been running since March. Plants are between 4-8 weeks old. Substrate is a couple of inches of Flora-Base and an inch of sand on top. I have been using Flora-Grow liquid fert, but all it seems to do is promote algae in the filter and pipework. No other additives.
I've turned the CO2 off, as you suggest. I guess the lush greenery will have to wait. :/

Ian, I don't think it's an aerosol kit. It has a disposable canister with a screw on regulator, bubble counter, non return valve and diffuser. It can be regulated quite accurately, as I have demonstrated......1 bubble every 12.4 seconds :rolleyes: , and it is repeating at that interval, including the .4.

Ross, the whole tank has been running since March. Plants are between 4-8 weeks old. Substrate is a couple of inches of Flora-Base and an inch of sand on top. I have been using Flora-Grow liquid fert, but all it seems to do is promote algae in the filter and pipework. No other additives.
I've turned the CO2 off, as you suggest. I guess the lush greenery will have to wait. :/
Hmm maybe you have low lighting? If you can get some cheap enough I recommend Flourish Excel its cure my algae problem and my plants look healthier. It doesn't replace CO2 but its a good suppliment. How long before you can get a monitor?

If I order one off the web it'll be early next week, unless my lfs has one. Lighting is two 24w T5 tubes. Tank is 30 long, 18 deep, 15 wide. Tubes only 2 months old. I'll try and get some Flourish Excel.
Thanks for your help both of you. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back