How Important is Accurately Recreating Environmental Lighting

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Limnobium laevigatum for me. If too invasive, well when too invasive I give some to a friend for his pond.
Just realise that "frogbit" IS Limnobium laevigatum 🤓:lol:

Last edited:
To avoid an "invasion", you should stretch a clear hose of the smallest diameter between aquarium walls, this would prevent effectively - while remaining discreet - any floatings invasion.
I don't mean to put you on the spot, as your suggestion is general advice I see everywhere, but I really don't see how this is effective. I've tried numerous times, and every method except a breeding divider has failed to keep floaters out. Suction cups randomly fail, the water level decreases to the point where tubing no longer obstructs the surface, and floating pylons get pushed or dislodged by buffeting water. To be fair, I have not looked at a product that is designed to solve this issue, but DIY methods are questionable to me at best. But, if it works for others, good for them I suppose.

I have duckweed in one tank (deliberately), and regularly I scoop out some and toss it in the compost. It can reproduce incredibly fast. Good floaters for fish are substantial plants like Water Sprite, Frogbit, Water Lettuce, and some of the stem plants grow well floating too.
Putting it that way, it sounds like duckweed provides a bit too much surface cover. I guess I kept it around because I figured the more cover the better for the fish. But ill definitely start doing that.

Would you have any specific recommendations for plants that provide surface cover for cardinal tetras?

Putting it that way, it sounds like duckweed provides a bit too much surface cover. I guess I kept it around because I figured the more cover the better for the fish. But ill definitely start doing that.

Would you have any specific recommendations for plants that provide surface cover for cardinal tetras?

Duckweed is better than nothing, and its rapid growth/reproduction means it is using nutrients (ammonia) and thus good for the water, and if the fish happen to be vegetarian they will readily eat duckweed. But the more substantial plants (I mentioned three of them, plus stem plants previously) are better because they provide better shade, they have root systems that many fish love to browse through for microscopic food, and they remove a lot of ammonia, more than the fish in the tank could ever produce. Water Sprite (Ceratopteris cornuta) is my favourite, this is a true fern and a lovely plant once established.

I really don't see how this is effective.
str1.jpg

str3.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back