How I'm Building My Refugium.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

RRaquariums

Chatroom Moderator
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
I have a journal about my new 230 gallon reef build and I have pics of my whole sump and build there but I wanted to make a separate thread for the refugium because it's not only a big part of why I made my sump the way I did but also something a lot of people getting into the saltwater side and of the hobby have questions about and want to do.
I'm certainly no expert but I felt by sharing my build and my learning experience it could maybe help others as well.
So to start off is a pic of what I have for my refugium tank it's a drilled acrylic tank that I converted for my use.
image.jpg
I still have work to do on it but it's getting there.
There are two big reasons. I wanted a refugium of considerable size because I want several types of blennys and a mandarin dragnet and since these feed mainly on pods I will need a good source of them and a steady supply so a big fuge was the best option for that.
I also wanted a good way to export waist and the growth of algae in the fuge should help a lot with that.
I'm planing on a heavily stocked tank when I'm all done down the road so all the help I can get with filtering and cleaning is needed.
If you guys have any advice to share about your own experiences setting up a refugium or want to add a comment please do I'd love to get feed back on this :)

Excellent. I've found that a good and well maintained fuge is a great benefit. The only thing I would (will) change with my new one is that I won't put sand in it. That turned out to just be more trouble than it was worth. I will use large pieces of live rock to increase filtration and caulerpa taxifolia. 

I think you were wise to go with such a large size for it. Also, having it set up like you do will make maintaining it so easy. 

Thanks for the imput :)
I was leaning towards no sand and your comment pretty much made me decide to not add it.
I'm hoping it's easy to maintain as I hate working in tight spaces lol.

Got two of the baffles siliconed I to the refugium tank.
image.jpg
image.jpg

The first baffle is drilled with holes so the water flows through evenly without disrupting the algae the the water flows over the second baffle and I to the last chamber where it will be returned to the final sump tank and returned to the main display from there.

What kind of algae do you plan on using? I ask because most of the macro algae need some disrupting. 

I plan on using chaeto algae as it's available to me cheap. There should be good water flow throughout the refugium just not an insane amount that will tumble everything all over. If it turns out I need more flow I will add a powerhead to the mix.

Got the tank and sump tanks filled and also the refugium so here's some pics of what it looks like in action.

Inflow chamber and baffle.
The baffle has holes in the top allowing flow.
image.jpg

Outflow chambers and baffles.
The first baffle has holes all the way down so there is even flow also no algae can slip over the top like in a normal overflow baffle. The second baffle is an overflow baffle that allows the water into the return chamber.

I had a problem with the pipe siphoning the whole tank down so I added a riser pipe to break the siphon.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Right now I have live rock taking up the whole thing when I get my lights in and my algae I will remove most of it I think or I may leave it but stack it up more not sure.
image.jpg

That's it for now I'll have more coming just not sure when :)

A good way to do it in a sump is to make sure it's placed so water can circulate all around it well. Since aesthetics don't matter in the sump it's function that's important. It's a nice looking set up. With that much rock in the sump you will be able to keep the display nice and clean looking.

Most reactions

trending

Back