How Hard Are Common Plecos?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Derby_Col

Reaction score
I've just completed my weekly gravel vacuum and accompanying water change. While I was doing this I knocked over a tank decoration upon which my pleco constantly lives when he's not scavenging. When I picked it up to put it right I didn't realise he was still there and my finger touched him. He didn't move and I don't think it was a hard contact, but as it was his head area I'm worried I've hurt him. Will he be ok and is there anything I should lookout for in him?

look on google and you'll find lots of pictures of plecs being held by the head and stomach in and out of water. i had to move a whiptail by hand a couple of weeks ago as netting him would have a disaster. luckily hes not a wriggler, so the 3 second trip in my hand was uneventful.

look on google and you'll find lots of pictures of plecs being held by the head and stomach in and out of water. i had to move a whiptail by hand a couple of weeks ago as netting him would have a disaster. luckily hes not a wriggler, so the 3 second trip in my hand was uneventful.

Lol I always have to pick my whiptails up when Im cleaning the tank they just dont move at all haha!

I've just completed my weekly gravel vacuum and accompanying water change. While I was doing this I knocked over a tank decoration upon which my pleco constantly lives when he's not scavenging. When I picked it up to put it right I didn't realise he was still there and my finger touched him. He didn't move and I don't think it was a hard contact, but as it was his head area I'm worried I've hurt him. Will he be ok and is there anything I should lookout for in him?

they are tough critters. I've seen vids of then fighting with Piranhas. and they win.
I would not worry too much.

they are tough critters. I've seen vids of then fighting with Piranhas. and they win.
What, plecos killing piranha?? Didn't know they had teeth, thought plecs only had sucker mouths!!!!

My ex used to have a common plec that would swim into his hands to be picked up; seriously!

:wub:

(that's for the plec, not the ex)

What, plecos killing piranha?? Didn't know they had teeth, thought plecs only had sucker mouths!!!!

they have teeth. just take a close look next time its, stuck, to the tank front. many common, type, plecos rasp on wood. I'd guess you need teeth for that.. plecos are also adept at eating dead fish, and have been known to kill. my pleco used to argue with the Crayfish after it had moulted. as to who eats the moult, and win!
its a fair bet, if you have a missing fish and have a pleco. that the fish is/was ill, and died. and the pleco cleaned up.

Most reactions

trending

Back