How Fast Do Clown Loaches Grow

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

odannyboy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have a couple of 2 1/2 to three inch clowns.roughly how long would it take for them to reach say5 inches? year or several years or more? would lots space and v good diet encourage growth?

Plenty of space and good diet seemed to help my clowns. My first two grew from 2-2½ inches to 5-6 inches in about a year, and the other two (they are a bit younger) are at about 4-5 inches now. The first year seems to be when they grow the most, after that they slown down growth.

You might want to get a couple of more clowns if you have a good sized tank, they really prefer to be in groups of at least 4.

it is generaly accepted that they are fast growning for the first 6 months, then the rate is approx 1 inch per year.
they have the potential to reach 12 inch and can live for over 40 years

an 8 inch loach would be approx 7 years old

COOL,i have three clowns and they seem v happy.if i got more sa to make it 4 ,5 or 6 in total,what effect will this have on there behavoiur? would they be more active or more relaxed?
can clowns be kept with red tail shark( one of) and or a red finned shark? could i have all three species in a four foot tank?

I'm not all that familiar with tank sizes measured in foot so a 4 foot tank really doesn't tell me much what size it is in gallons or litres, but as the clowns grow big they will require at least a 100 gallon tank, preferably something around 150+ gal. Even while they're young, I wouldn't keep them in anything less than a 55 gal as it will stunt their growth.

I've heard they can get along with a red tail or redfinned shark in a big tank, but I have no personal experience with it since I don't think my tank is big enough for the clowns and a shark (it's a 5 foot long 80 gallon). I'd imagine more clowns would make them more active, being out and playing more. My clowns are pretty funny to watch when they play, zooming across the tank and swimming in circles and upside down at evenings, and I think they would do it more if I had a few more clowns, but I'll wait until I upgrade tanks before I get more.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back