How does one afford this hobby??

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

you can build a bare stand easily (if you have the tools) for around $20 ($30-40 extra for aesthetic stuff) at three times the durability of a store bought stand

also, there's no reason to be worried about second hand stuff if you find out and research the difference between a bad silicone seam/seal and cracked or scratched glass
the only reason why i don't buy larger 100g+ tanks used is because it's a real worry that it will have a bad silicone job and i won't be able to reseal it quick enough before it dries

🥺I have a stack of stands I can’t use…none of them workout..so I took a hault on stands…think I’m gonna have to build my own ..just finally sold them all ..sad right

I buy a lot of my stuff used. I got 5 tanks from a retired angelfish breeder, she had them stored in her garage for about 10 years, and had used them for 10 years before that. Only had to reseal two of my used tanks so far (10 out of my 15). I use inexpensive substrates, so my biggest expense has actually been plants and filters, along with a couple cool rocks I couldn't resist.

I have, somewhat recently, made money by selling my excess floating plants. I have made almost $150 selling plants. And add a fee for delivery or mailing. Just advertising on Facebook and Craigslist. Doesn't quite make up for the $2000+ I have spent over the last couple of years. Might even be more by now. But I also live alone, and budget about $100 a month for fish.

I don't have family or significant other, so my hooligans are not just a hobby or pastime, they pretty much literally get me up each morning (especially those sex mad Cories 6" from my head getting jiggy with it every morning like clockwork :D )

I have spent around £475 ish per aquarium. I set a limit of £500 for each one...that includes aquarium, stand, decor, ancilliaries and fish. Managed to stick to that budget for each of my 5 aquariums. My hooligan food and bottled water budget limit is £80 per month and I have never exceeded that, mostly well under that limit.

As long as you set yourself a budget and don't go impulse MTS buying then its not overly expensive. A little self control goes a very long way ;)

Just proprogate and grow more …planting can be like a gardener who enjoys their hobby ..so depends if you like it or not..if you don’t just skip it lol

Ikr..I notice certain lfs sells them and some don’t so just keep an eye out…I would buy them anywhere for $2-4 depending on the type of plant. Happy hunting

Good idea, but it's kinda hard to get going with a business like that, isn't it?
Pretty easy go done to your local LFS and ask them. " What fish do you want me to breed for you". Then go from there get back to me if you want a hand with setting tanks up. The best money I ever made was breeding whiptail catfish and selling the young at around $15 a fish the LFS then sold them for $30.

Good idea, but it's kinda hard to get going with a business like that, isn't it?
I am going to add to that post. I moved to a new area and wanted to breed a few fish. I went down to the local fish shop. They wanted White Cloud Mountain Minnows they sold me 6 fish at wholesale. I have now supplied that shop with around 300 fish over two years.

I've spent well over $100 on the plants, ferts, and lights new 20 gallon. Another $80 on the filters. And another $20 for the lid. Then maybe another $40 on foods and etc etc. I also pay for water by usage so that adds a cost as well. I just lose track and give up lol

Most reactions

trending

Back