How does one afford this hobby??

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

KatNor21

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Let's be real for a second. 😂 How do you afford this hobby? I'm a beginner, as in, less than 6 months into it. I have 3 tanks and enjoy aquascaping and fishkeeping, but I've spent SOOO much money. Like, hundreds and hundreds. To make matters worse, practically every time I run into a problem and post about it, someone recommends that I throw out what I've already done and start over, or buy some expensive product that's "better" that what I've got. My husband isn't too thrilled, to say the least.

So like, seriously, how do you afford it? Are there secret tricks to save money? Not trying to get personal, just want to know if anyone has some good ideas I never thought of. 😁

Thankfully, I live alone so I only beat myself up about how much money I'm spending. I also have three tanks (so far) and have spent hundreds
on chemicals, rocks, lights, UV filter, live plants, silk plants, etc.. The fish have been the smallest expenditure of all. Right now I'm contemplating setting up a 60 gal tank I've already purchased, if I can figure out where to put it. As soon as I pick a suitable spot, I'll be off and running!

Thankfully, I live alone so I only beat myself up about how much money I'm spending. I also have three tanks (so far) and have spent hundreds
on chemicals, rocks, lights, UV filter, live plants, silk plants, etc.. The fish have been the smallest expenditure of all. Right now I'm contemplating setting up a 60 gal tank I've already purchased, if I can figure out where to put it. As soon as I pick a suitable spot, I'll be off and running!
Not only am I married, but I have 2 young kids as well! 🤣😬

I’m barely able to afford it. Of course, I keep a reef tank, so it’s MUCH more expensive.

Why do I keep doing it? Because I love it. It’s my passion.

I’m also a teenager, so around 90% of all the money I earn goes to this.

when you're doing a low-tech planted tank, it can't be that expensive for you guys, right?
unless you're doing a coral tank, then you're just destined to run out of money eventually 😂

I would usually just have one maybe two display tanks. All the other tanks had to be producing fish for sale. That is how I have managed to stay in the hobby.

Teach yourself to build tanks using second hand glass. In New Zealand the glazers have to pay to dump glass so are more than happy to give it away to an aquarist.

I shop around for ages for a good deal. I really like to get my stuff from Petco. Second hand tanks and supplies make my mom nervous, so she made me buy all my equipment new. I shopped around on Petco’s website and over the course of 3 months was able to get my 55 gallon tank and stand for $150, then I got 2 Marineland filters (a 350 and a 200) for between $22 and $28 each, I got my lids (glass tops) for $16 each, then was able to get 25% off to order online and pick up in store. I got some play sand my dad had in the garage, and I ordered all my plants on Ebay from sellers who offered buy two get one free.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back